I2S query

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bill, after reading the "Do Audiophiles want a stand alone high end HDD source?" thread, I thought that I would purchase a WD Mini off of ebay and do the I2S conversion suggested by Erin. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-want-stand-alone-high-end-hdd-source-14.html
I thought I would build a linear power supply (easier bit) and a daughter board for the reciever chip and relays etc., as I would still like the option of an external SPDIF source as well. Sound OK?

Sounds great. You also have the option of using SS switching instead of relays. There are a number of switching ICs you could use. I was researching these a few months ago and believe they would be more stable than relays. Then my puter crashed, lost my focus. I'll see if I can resurrect some info for you.

Hi darkfury,

I haven't completed my connection yet, I have a circuit board half finished to combine my DAC receiver IC plus an analogue switch IC so that I can choose I2C or SP/DIF inputs. I'll post photos once completed.
Regarding your query, you will need to break into the circuit board traces between your receiver and converter IC's, something like the drawing below.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Connection.JPG
    Connection.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 133
Hi darkfury,
I think it would be advisable yes, but I would be more inclined to cut the tracks rather than remove the whole receiver chip. That way you can easily re-connect if you need to with a bit of solder.
I am adding a switch to mine to select either I2S or SP/DIF inputs, I'll be etching a board soon.

Attachments

• PC board.jpg
    PC board.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 71
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.