I2S query - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2010, 08:16 AM   #1
audi0 is offline audi0  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Default I2S query

I wonder if one of you knowledgeable gents would help me with this query; Is adding I2S to a TDA1543 DAC as simple as tapping into the Data, WS and BCK between the receiver and DAC chips, or am I missing something?
Old 29th August 2010, 01:10 PM   #2
RIP

If you are asking, can I use an I2S feed to the dac chip instead of the receiver chip, then yes, but don't try cables for the connection. Keep the wires as short as possible, a few inches is OK.
Old 30th August 2010, 07:52 AM   #3

Many thanks Bill, I am planning to switch (probably with relays) between the receiver chip and I2S inputs. Yes the leads will be very short <50mm

cheers.. Steve
Old 30th August 2010, 11:34 AM   #4
RIP

I have to get nosey, what are you building? I built a Redbook CD player with an old Magnavox CDM4 player and a Chinese upsampling dac board with outstanding results.
Old 30th August 2010, 12:11 PM   #5

Hi Bill, after reading the "Do Audiophiles want a stand alone high end HDD source?" thread, I thought that I would purchase a WD Mini off of ebay and do the I2S conversion suggested by Erin. Do Audiophiles want a stand alone high end HDD source?
I thought I would build a linear power supply (easier bit) and a daughter board for the reciever chip and relays etc., as I would still like the option of an external SPDIF source as well. Sound OK?
Old 30th August 2010, 01:43 PM   #6
RIP

Sounds great. You also have the option of using SS switching instead of relays. There are a number of switching ICs you could use. I was researching these a few months ago and believe they would be more stable than relays. Then my puter crashed, lost my focus. I'll see if I can resurrect some info for you.
Old 30th August 2010, 02:51 PM   #7
RIP

Check out Maxim's MAX4754. Small but simple.

Google (quad spdt switching) for others.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:14 AM   #8

Thanks for the info Bill, much appreciated. Unfortunately smt and logic circuits are not my strong point!
I guess there would probably be a DIP version? I'll Google it, but I'm not not sure how to switch with logic?
Old 31st August 2010, 04:05 PM   #9
RIP

I would imagine someone made them in dip size. Really, they operate just like a relay. One is NC and one is NO, you just switch the power to it on and off with a toggle or whatever.
Old 31st August 2010, 04:26 PM   #10
RIP

Vishay DG333A. Runs on 5v, 20 pin dip. Just power the V+ with 5v and the 4 in pins with 5v through a limiting resistor and you are in business.

Hide this!Advertise here!