Pure digital crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't know of any pure digital ones out of the box, but with a good bit of electronic skills, you could hack a Behringer DCX2496 for I2S in and out, and add any DIR/DIT circuits you'd like.

I'll be using my computer both as software XO and source, but in addition to 16 outputs, the Lynx AES32 sound card also has 16 inputs (all digital). Can be complicated to set up, but is very versatile and performs well.

QF1Da512

Quite a coincidence that I found this thread...I was thinking of starting a new one, and maybe I should, but for now I think this is a good place:

So here’s what I’m up to: As part of a rather ambitious project, I’m toying with the idea of using these guys: <link> to give me some mad filtering at the preamp stage for a bi/tri-amp system (still weighing cost/vs. benefit of bi vs. tri…suggestions?). I basically wanted to gauge the community’s enthusiasm for the device (I nearly messed my pants when I found these) and get a little discussion going on the device and how best to apply it.

One thing I’ve been thinking about (and before answering, should I just leave it at the shout-out for the QF1Da512 and take my questions to a new thread?):

How good does the filtering need to be at the preamp stage for some premium multi-amping? To put it another way, will I ever need to exploit the full potential of these things and construct some brick-wall filters at my x-over frequencies? Is it possible to filter too sharply at a particular x-over frequency? For instance, how’s it gonna sound if I give my woofers exactly (or as near as makes no difference) 70-1000Hz and my mids 1000-6000 Hz (a theoretical example…assuming the drivers deliver their most linear performance in these ranges). If it is better to have some overlap, is there an ideal amount (characteristics of the roll-off)? This is something I’m excited to tinker with once (if) it’s built, but maybe someone out there has opinions/data.

Quite a coincidence that I found this thread...I was thinking of starting a new one, and maybe I should, but for now I think this is a good place:

So here’s what I’m up to: As part of a rather ambitious project, I’m toying with the idea of using these guys: <link> to give me some mad filtering at the preamp stage for a bi/tri-amp system (still weighing cost/vs. benefit of bi vs. tri…suggestions?). I basically wanted to gauge the community’s enthusiasm for the device (I nearly messed my pants when I found these) and get a little discussion going on the device and how best to apply it.

One thing I’ve been thinking about (and before answering, should I just leave it at the shout-out for the QF1Da512 and take my questions to a new thread?):

How good does the filtering need to be at the preamp stage for some premium multi-amping? To put it another way, will I ever need to exploit the full potential of these things and construct some brick-wall filters at my x-over frequencies? Is it possible to filter too sharply at a particular x-over frequency? For instance, how’s it gonna sound if I give my woofers exactly (or as near as makes no difference) 70-1000Hz and my mids 1000-6000 Hz (a theoretical example…assuming the drivers deliver their most linear performance in these ranges). If it is better to have some overlap, is there an ideal amount (characteristics of the roll-off)? This is something I’m excited to tinker with once (if) it’s built, but maybe someone out there has opinions/data.
I've also been looking for a DSP solution (I designed a 4-Way loudspeaker, and now I'm looking for an affordable DSP for use as an active crossover, to be mated to class-D amp modules). Since I'm at the prototype stage with my project, I'm looking for inexpensive solutions. I found something promising at miniDSP.com earlier today--their miniDSP kit RevA. I haven't read about all it's capabilities, but it looks promising.

And, yes--you should definitely start a thread, given that you have a specific module in mind. Perhaps there are other comparable solutions.

cool chip indeed. no I dont think I have seen anything quite like it as a 1 chip solution. will be interesting to see this device integrated into a truly high end design with high end dacs AFTER the XO, then separate amp per driver per channel. i'm in the planning stages of research for building a hybrid class A (highs/mids)/class D (bass/sub bass) digitally crossed 3-4 way 4 driver active monitor pair. well 2-3 way mains and a single dual woofer class D active sub. this device could make my life easier and cheaper.

will keep an eye out for your thread

DEQX's dsp looks impressive, but I'm looking for affordable modules which can be integrated into an OEM solution (my long-term plan is to sell a limited quantity of speakers).

I'm suspicious about the inflated price, as in their brief, DEQX notes, '..the HDP-3 first measures and corrects a speaker’s native (anechoic) behavior...'. Truth be told, such behavior within a loudspeaker cannot be corrected electronically--it can only be corrected acoustically. (And I'm not even going to delve into how they 'calculated' the distortion amount introduced by loudspeaker transducers.)

If I were to incorporate a rack-mount approach, Rane offers unparalled performance (in the area of crossovers), for considerably less.

Nevertheless, thanks for introducing me to one piece of equipment with impressive specs. Perhaps they'll offer something in the form of modules in the future.

Hello dear diyaudio comunity

looking for 3-way (or 4-way) stereo digital audio crossover
spdif in and out or i2c (no ugly analog circuits)

This is exactly what I needed for my bass horn system and that's what I did:

6 channel digital delay and DAC

I can adjust the crossover frequency and the delay from the listening chair using an infra red remote control. I also made a specific reclocking system for the discret R-2R DACs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is exactly what I needed for my bass horn system and that's what I did:

6 channel digital delay and DAC

I can adjust the crossover frequency and the delay from the listening chair using an infra red remote control. I also made a specific reclocking system for the discret R-2R DACs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

very interesting but pcm2902 and spdif..... is not good for me
id prefer i2s input....
and 3 i2s output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.