Pcm1700

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tandberg TCP-4035

It's stuck in a Tandberg TCP-4035 with a DF1700P :D

I'm more interesting in any opinion about this DAC (it's a BB), yes it's old but someone must have listen to it in any DAC or player?

Is there any quick and easy way to change it to a NOS? Don't want to do any big changes so I cant change it back again..

Its pants
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sorry haven't heard that expression before.. Learning something new every day:)

- really bad glitch at the zero crossing. It sounded so bad that a colleague who designed an 8 channel output board with it redesigned the board to use another part.

How did it sound, what was the "pants"? Do you know if he used the MSB adjustment in the design?

I wasn't working on that particular project myself, so didn't get to listen to it. Just heard from one guy who was more of a 'golden ear' than the engineers that it was gritty. I did look on the scope and found the zero crossing glitch was seriously bad - guess it sounded like an amp with very bad crossover distortion - horribly harsh at lower levels.

Yes I think he did include the MSB trim pots and no, they didn't rescue the sound. They only affect the high level distortion.

I got at CD with 1kHz test tone starting at -120dB, -110 and so on(dither and no dither), will a see the crossing distortion with this test tone and a oscilloscope?

A bit hard to see such low levels on the scope. Try looking with a -60dB signal - the discontinuities should be obvious. That is unless BB found the bug and fixed it in later silicon.... As Novec says this part is 20 years old now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.