grounding my DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a seperate mains running to my audio equipment, 220V/50Hz (Netherlands). It works very good on all my appliances except the DAC!?

I have a NOS DAC based on the 1541 Silver Crown, it is in a metal casing.
Allthough a normal 3-pin IEC is mounted, the ground is not connected (not even to the case). The case is not marked "double insulated".
Every now and then I hear appliances in the house switching on or off, very annoying and only when using the DAC.

My questions:

1) will it make a difference if I use a powercable with groundwire disconnected?
(to avoid ground going to the IEC even though it is not connected in the
case)
2) is it an option to add ground to the DAC with a groundbreaker or similar

Hi audiofanaat,
...My questions:

1) will it make a difference if I use a powercable with groundwire disconnected?
(to avoid ground going to the IEC even though it is not connected in the
case)
2) is it an option to add ground to the DAC with a groundbreaker or similar
There is an interesting and complete article about grounding on this forum :
Audio component Grounding and interconnection

It will probably very helpful.

Ee... you should at least ground the chassis, is it a China DAC?
You'd want to check if signal ground is connected to chassis ground first, though usually it isn't.

I doubt playing with grounding will reduce those pops from lamps and refrigerator switching on and off.

I'd recommend to follow/restore the grounding standards, they help you live longer and your equipment sound better. The Chinese and Russian do not always follow European standards.

Indeed, I just recently fixed a buzzing problem on a China T-amp by grounding the chassis. SNR definitely improved if that translates into sounding better.

Apparently safety earth is optional in China - Peekture: one good made in china product - COMEX 2010 | VRForums - Singapore IT & Lifestyle Central

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.