Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 09:23 AM   #1
sjalloq is offline sjalloq  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cambridge
Send a message via MSN to sjalloq
Default ES9018 and I2S

Hi there,

I'd like to use my ES9018 with an I2S input and was wondering if anyone has any experience with using different quality clocks for the I2S master and if they had any perceived effect on sound quality?

The DAC is supposedly immune to jitter on its inputs so has anyone compared using a cheap crystal oscillator vs. a TENT clock module for example? Did it make a difference or is it a waste of funds that could be spent elsewhere?

Also, if I'm connecting two separate boards together via I2S, I should try and keep the wire length as short as possible but what is a suitable wire? Can I use a ribbon cable? Simple 4 wire for GND, BCK, LRCK and DATA or interleaved grounds?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 09:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: London UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalloq View Post
Hi there,

I'd like to use my ES9018 with an I2S input and was wondering if anyone has any experience with using different quality clocks for the I2S master and if they had any perceived effect on sound quality?

The DAC is supposedly immune to jitter on its inputs so has anyone compared using a cheap crystal oscillator vs. a TENT clock module for example? Did it make a difference or is it a waste of funds that could be spent elsewhere?

Also, if I'm connecting two separate boards together via I2S, I should try and keep the wire length as short as possible but what is a suitable wire? Can I use a ribbon cable? Simple 4 wire for GND, BCK, LRCK and DATA or interleaved grounds?

Thanks.
There is no such thing as total immunity to clocks, cables and power supplies. I2S is as prone to cable effects as other formats.

For short lengths, just using Cat5e or 6 twisted pair. I have used about 1/2 m with 5 contact plugs and sockets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 10:39 AM   #3
sjalloq is offline sjalloq  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cambridge
Send a message via MSN to sjalloq
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmak View Post
There is no such thing as total immunity to clocks, cables and power supplies. I2S is as prone to cable effects as other formats.
Hey fmak, thanks for that. I fully understand the point you raise but with this particular DAC the effect of clock jitter is allegedly minimal. With that in mind I'm trying to make a design trade off based on cost vs. any perceived improvement. I can obviously just try it for myself and see what I think but it would also be good to hear from those who have done the same experiments.

Cheers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 11:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: London UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalloq View Post
Hey fmak, thanks for that. I fully understand the point you raise but with this particular DAC the effect of clock jitter is allegedly minimal. With that in mind I'm trying to make a design trade off based on cost vs. any perceived improvement. I can obviously just try it for myself and see what I think but it would also be good to hear from those who have done the same experiments.

Cheers.
There are no dacs that are immune as suggested. I have had many and you just need to try it for yourself.

The ESS is nice sounding if you set it up properly.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ackoDAC based on ES9018 acko Digital Line Level 763 Yesterday 05:05 AM
Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC) Russ White Twisted Pear 960 28th April 2013 10:33 AM
Tube push-pull for the ES9018 DAC Sandor Digital Line Level 1 1st October 2011 05:41 PM
Left-justified I2S to Philips I2S Converter curva Digital Line Level 23 19th February 2009 01:50 PM
Direct Wiring a DDDAC USB-->I2S to a P3A DAC I2S DIN input dkj7a Digital Source 1 26th March 2006 05:46 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2