Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When it comes to DAC's, I'm a novice! As a introduction to DAC construction I have built a hifiDIY TDA1543 x 8 Extreme DAC but have distorion problems. I am getting realy bad distortion at lower frequencies, for instance female vocals are acceptable but below that distortion sets in.
I have tested the audio output stage separately, and it works fine, so I'm assuming that I have a problem with the conversion (8 x 1543) or receiver (CS8414).
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, or at least narrow down the search area a bit more!

Hi Bill,
I would appreciate any constructive input that you can give. I have read many reports about these DAC's, and know their limitations, but as I said in post 1 that I was only really using this as an introduction.
I have some of the schematic, my scanner is refusing to work at the moment so cannot scan the hard copy that I have

Attachments

• TDA1543 DAC.jpg
    TDA1543 DAC.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 68
Progress

Thanks for the input guy's.
Looking for a possible faulty chip, I removed 4 chips and powered up and discovered no distortion, not sure why? Have I got the wrong resistor values for eight? I have 200R for R8 and 330R for R9 & R10.
I'm running the chips @ 8 volts.
Any ideas?

Thanks for the input guy's.
Looking for a possible faulty chip, I removed 4 chips and powered up and discovered no distortion, not sure why? Have I got the wrong resistor values for eight? I have 200R for R8 and 330R for R9 & R10.
I'm running the chips @ 8 volts.
Any ideas?

Did you test the other set of 4 to see if any distortion?
If good, then put back 8x tda and check R9,10 should be 2x680 ohm in parallel or equal value.
R8 should be 2x390 ohm in parallel or equal value, or variable resistor to adjust for your best result.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.