Kelvin Labs DAC - Any good ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2010, 01:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kelvin Labs DAC - Any good ??

I have just 'found' an old DAC in the garage. It is a Kelvin Labs, no model number - just a black box. THought I would take it apart and have a look inside. I'm a bit puzzled - there doesn't seem to be much of a circuit following the DAC chip , no caps or opamps. I'm no expert (far from it) but I don't really know how it works ! Plugged it in and it plays fine - just wondered if any of you guys knows any thing about it - is it worth keeping and tweaking around with ??
Old 17th July 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

No caps?

If the DAC chip used is a good one it is probably worth playing with.
Old 17th July 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Hurtig is offline Hurtig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

That is just about the worst misunderstanding in Audio... But still very popular.

If this was true, you could list the performance of a DAC-system, by the DAC-chip used. No way.

Audio is about sonic performance, and to achieve sonic performance, the implementation of the DAC chip is MUCH more important than the chip itself.

A well-designed DAC with an let's say "mid-level" DAC chip, can easily beat a "no-brain application note op-amp desing".

Unfortunately, the cost of implementing the Chip right, may very well cost more and take much more R&D time, than just using the most expensive chip. That's why most designs is just made with the "best DAC" by datasheet, in an traditional app.note style.

Hide this!Advertise here!