Help needed on Gigawork DAC !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi There !

After having read so many good reviews on the gigawork dac (LM DAC3), I've purchased the DAC (CS4398+DIR9001+upsampling board) from the chinese seller snow48_6. I received it 2 weeks after, in very good condition.

However, I cannot get it work ! :( I discovered that the RCA analog outputs are always shorted to ground (relay controlled by the digital receiver never clicking...) When I connect the DAC using the USB connection, I have a signal on the first OPAMP ; I tried the coaxial SPIF input but no success...

I suspect that I have a problem with the receiver... Does anyone have any experience using this DAC with the DIR9001 receiver ?

Also, here is a couple of strange things I noticed... (have a look on pictures !)
- The pin 1 on the receiver module is connected to one side resistor...
- The capacitor surrounded by a red circle seems to be a resistor on the photos I found on the internet...

Any help would be apprieciated !

Attachments

• debug1.JPG
    debug1.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 615
  • debug2.JPG
    debug2.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 598
Hi There !

After having read so many good reviews on the gigawork dac (LM DAC3), I've purchased the DAC (CS4398+DIR9001+upsampling board) from the chinese seller snow48_6. I received it 2 weeks after, in very good condition.

However, I cannot get it work ! :( I discovered that the RCA analog outputs are always shorted to ground (relay controlled by the digital receiver never clicking...) When I connect the DAC using the USB connection, I have a signal on the first OPAMP ; I tried the coaxial SPIF input but no success...

I suspect that I have a problem with the receiver... Does anyone have any experience using this DAC with the DIR9001 receiver ?

Also, here is a couple of strange things I noticed... (have a look on pictures !)
- The pin 1 on the receiver module is connected to one side resistor...
- The capacitor surrounded by a red circle seems to be a resistor on the photos I found on the internet...

Any help would be apprieciated !

To work correctly, DIR9001 must be connected to that resistor
Yes this is a resistor

Attachments

• dir9001.jpg
    dir9001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 470
  • IMGP3649.JPG
    IMGP3649.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Hi Everyone !

I completely forgot to give the final result... I was able to get it to work ; the power supplies were not connected connectly, and the relay was always shorting outputs to ground.
I haven't tested out the SPDIF connection but the USB works fine ; I have replaced the AOPs, sound is much better ; I haven't made any other modifications... But I was thinking to remove the second amplifier stage, and the connection through the relay.
I will test it out as soon as I have some spare time !!!

Regards.

Hello
I'm interested by mod on this dac, I have the same with some mods from the precedent owner.

There are 2 double aop cause this dac can use different dsp. But with a cs4398 only one simple aop is necessary.

Can I get out directly from R63 C72 and R62 C71 ?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2049 - Copie.JPG
    DSCN2049 - Copie.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 321
  • output stage.jpg
    output stage.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 225
Hello
I'm interested by mod on this dac, I have the same with some mods from the precedent owner.

There are 2 double aop cause this dac can use different dsp. But with a cs4398 only one simple aop is necessary.

Can I get out directly from R63 C72 and R62 C71 ?

Thanks

Hello all,
I've been playing with a similar dac for about a few years. I originally purchased it since it had all three inputs, coax, optical, usb. This dac has been collecting dust for some time since it had a similar switching problems during evaluation. Since I have always had intentions of bypassing its output stage with my own output stage I didn't think the relay would eventually be a problem.

Just the other day I finished the new output stage and it still has the same issue, the relay cuts the digital source signal after 30 sec. - 1 min.. To my surprise the relay is connected to the original outputs (I'm using the V- left and V- right directly from the dac chip.).

If I short the rely will it provoke other problems with switching between the other digital sources?

From the schema that's posted here it doesn't indicate where how the rely is shorted by the digital source.

Thanks in advance for any input.
M

I've contacted the seller (producer?). They were kind enough to send a schema.

I have the digital controller CS8416 and the CS4398 DAC chip as combination.

I'm hypothesising that the culprit is in the connection from the CS8416 (connection from the transistor to pin 14 of CS8416) to relay circuit. However there are voltages on both and current passing.

Does anybody know off hand if it would be recommended to permanently bypass the relay or is it required for a muting circuit? How does the controller "communicate" with the relay circuit?

Apologies in advance but I am new to these electronics!

Attachments

• relay_circuit.JPG
    relay_circuit.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DAC3V20.pdf
    74.1 KB · Views: 177
Hi Everyone !

I completely forgot to give the final result... I was able to get it to work ; the power supplies were not connected connectly, and the relay was always shorting outputs to ground.
I haven't tested out the SPDIF connection but the USB works fine ; I have replaced the AOPs, sound is much better ; I haven't made any other modifications... But I was thinking to remove the second amplifier stage, and the connection through the relay.
I will test it out as soon as I have some spare time !!!

Regards.

Looking closely at Nick's solution I was wondering what exact problem he had found on the power supplies. I'm having a related problem with the relay switching (grounding outputs) after 2 min. from start up (however on a CS8416). The only connection to the relay from the controller chip is an "input port controller". Must there be voltage on this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.