Maximum cable length for I2s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used 75 cm (about 3 inches) long cables to connect my modded cdplayer to my TDA1541-based dac. Cables were self-made using RG59 coaxial cable and BNC connectors. Observed at the scope, the signals at the dac end looked good, and almost identical to the ones at the player end. No problem, good sound.
Reagrds.
Paul

Use 74HC(T) or 74AC(T) 244/245 buffers...
- clock lines can beterminated by using 100 Ohms and 100pF in series (so the DC-resistance isn't that low) and
- data lines with 220 Ohms to Vcc and 330 Ohms to GND (see SCSI), perhaps coupled via 100pF to the line.

!! But LVDS is preferrable !! or you must a 100MHz (minimum !) scope to check if termination is ok.

Don't forget, that the MCLK must be treatened as an analog signal ! (else you would get jitter problems and therefore noise or FM modulated to the signal (not detectable by common used notch filters analyzers !)

pics for better understanding. The value of C depends on the frequency to be terminated

Attachments

• Terminating_Data-CLock.jpg
    Terminating_Data-CLock.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,038
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.