Really!? - no decent diy DAC with basic 5.1/PCM functionality as well?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again,
After I screened through many threads and discussions -and even open few myself on the matter - I still couldn't find an elegant solution that will enable me to get excellent Stereo DAC performances and at least basic multichannel support - either decoding AC3/DD/DTS independently or at least able to process PCM signals after being decoded by the computer.

I'm looking for something to improve my HTPC built-in sound codec (ADI AD1986a - 5.1 20bit/48MHz DACs) that'll will get USB/SPDIF and output 6 analog channels within the 100-150$ range.

I'd settle for decent 24bit/96Mhz solution and the multichannel sound doesn't have to be "audiophile" quality.

I couldn't find any diy kit such as the many 2CH DACs out there and the only solution seem to be:

1) Using a used/outdated DD/DTS A/V receiver/processor - bulky and not very attractive solution... Also Stereo decoding may not be good enough.

2) Going for external sound card with 5.1 support - i.e. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi External USB - Not sure if it's stereo DAC is really superior and I'm not really into creative - would someone comment regarding it's performance?

3) Using one of the external DTS/DD decoders found all over eBay, feed them from the on board SPDIF and modify if possible some of their internals - such as the models I linked here: Upgrading a "mocha JY-M2" multi channel DAC? - again, I'm afraid their Stereo DAC performance aren't comparable to even the basic 2CH diy DAC boards out there...

So what would you suggest?
IS there any way to stream 2ch contents through a decent DAC to the front L/R and when multichannel content is played - feed the other channels through the onboard analog output (while the front channels are still processed through the better separated DAC?)

Gal

IS there any way to stream 2ch contents through a decent DAC to the front L/R and when multichannel content is played - feed the other channels through the onboard analog output (while the front channels are still processed through the better separated DAC?)

Gal

All sound cards can do that. Actually most still play through all analogue outputs including front L/R by default even if you enabled digital out.

Oh ya, select PCM instead of Dolby Digital Live.

Last edited:
I already have an on board sound that do that and has 6 analog channel output...
But I want something better - at least for Stereo music...

A discrete internal sound card (Asus Xonar etc..) is not an attractive solution for me - I don't have room for it (slim case) and believe even a half decent diy DAC could perform much better outside the PC -
I'd like something EXTERNAL (less noise) with superior Stereo sound - this is the highest priority and I'll settle for just basic multi channel output as long as the Front two channels are getting the highest quality I can get (at budget).

If I'll find a way to utilize the internal sound for decoding multi channel content (AC3/DTS/DD...) and feed only the Front channels through the better external DAC while the rest (Center, Subwoofer, Surround L/R) go through it's built in analog out (like I'm using it now) - it'll completely satisfy me - anyone knows if it's feasible and how to do it?

Gal

Gal

On-board sound SPDIF-out -> 2-channel DAC with SPDIF-in

On-board sound analogue-out -> rest of the speakers

By default multi-channel content will be decoded into PCM to be played through analogue outputs and sent over SPDIF in PCM mode. You will need the appropriate software decoders to hear sound through the analogue outputs (and digital outputs in PCM)

On-board sound SPDIF-out -> 2-channel DAC with SPDIF-in

On-board sound analogue-out -> rest of the speakers

By default multi-channel content will be decoded into PCM to be played through analogue outputs and sent over SPDIF in PCM mode. You will need the appropriate software decoders to hear sound through the analogue outputs (and digital outputs in PCM)

Correct - thats exactly what I meant- thank you for the "translation" :eek:

You will need the appropriate software decoders to hear sound through the analogue outputs (and digital outputs in PCM)
So - any idea how and what piece of software can do it?
Feeding the 2 front channels through the digital SPDIF out while the rest are fed to the analog outputs?

Currently I'm using foobar2000 for audio and vlc/ffdshow codecs for video.
Gal

Just connect the wires like that.

You might not even need to set any settings other than enabling digital-out as the settings by default are supposed to do that.

As for software required - an AC3 decoder - built-into FFDShow, that's enough.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that 5.1 isn't really exciting for the DIYAudio crowd. At least for me it isn't.

<Rant>
Surround sound is a smokescreen to distract the viewer from realizing that the movie he just paid good money to watch is shallow poorly executed crap.

The picture is in one little spot in front of me, why the hell should the sound be in places where the picture isn't? If the picture is all around me, then the sound should be too, until then, I'll take one or two good speakers behind or flanking the screen thankyouverymuch.

Now, get off my lawn!

</Rant>

Sheldon

Surround sound is a smokescreen to distract the viewer from realizing that the movie he just paid good money to watch is shallow poorly executed crap.
First try to listen to a real surround, not a movie sound track, then comment on the matter.
There are many great surround DVD-A, SACD albums, all of them with the bands/singer aprovall.
DIY comunity doesn't like surround because... most cannot afford quality surround.

Just connect the wires like that.

You might not even need to set any settings other than enabling digital-out as the settings by default are supposed to do that.

As for software required - an AC3 decoder - built-into FFDShow, that's enough.

And do you think it'll output through the analog as well as SPDIF on the same time?

BTW - any decent 2ch DIY DAC you'd recommend?
Gal

Today I found this kit at eBay:
5.1 DTS AC3 decode preamplifier board+Remote control

Pretty much exactly what I've been looking for - and the price is...OK I guess... (even though I don't care for the DSP nonsense and some of the other features...).
The decoder chip seems to be:
CRYSTAL CS493293

I couldn't (yet) find any info regarding it's "DAC" performance - how would it perform as a STEREO DAC?
Any thoughts?
Gal

That part is just a DSP, doesn't have any DAC's. Also it doesn't work without an external ROM that holds the software - and that you have to order it separatelly, sign licensing agreements and is not avail for individual purchase. Price vary function of the number of decoding functions included.
It is used in my old Harman Kadon AVR520.
It has a CS49326 as a DSP, firmware is written in the 24LV020 memory, DAC's are CS4391, OpAmps are NJM2068, SPDIF receiver is CS8414... Everything controlled by a general-use CPU from CXP828 family.
Without the code in the memory, it is lik eyour PC with no operating system on it - cannot "play" nothing.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Are you sure - it does seems like a complete solution since It gets the raw data through SPDIF and has analog outputs for all the channels - so probably has some kind of DAC inside...
Can you verify?
Do you know what quality should I expect? (VS other external DAC's or the built in sound codec on my mother board)?
I'm talking about this product and not the CRYSTAL chip alone:
5.1 DTS AC3 decode preamplifier board+Remote control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.