• Cathode Follower

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Thorsten-style

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 15.1%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will start building my first 1541-based DAC soon, based on the currently running GB from dvd-project.

I am still very much in doubt though on the ideal output stage for the tda 1541A (esp. with 2 dac chips). I quick google gives sooo many options I got lost...

Let's make a poll on the view of the community!

Thorsten's Adagio uses a 20 ohm I/V resistor, a step-up transformer and a SRPP gain stage (E182CC).
The last published Thorsten's circuit has a 50 ohm I/V resistor, a choke loaded common cathode stage (ECC88), and no transformer.
The Lampizator uses a 100 ohm I/V resistor, a SRPP with a high gain tube (6N2P), and no transformer.

You could include in the list the good, and popular, "less simple I/V" from Rudolf Broertjies, as well as the Joko Homo's and Pedja Rogic's circuits.

I have tried all the above circuits and the best to me is the Adagio.
Regards.

Paul

I dont know about that, I love iron as well, but you have to spend some serious money on output transformers to beat a good opamp circuit for IV. I generally prefer discrete SS and thats how I voted, it can measure right up there too, much better than trannies. I do like the simplicity of transformer output, but there is no denying the numbers are usually pretty bad and its not suitable for all dacs either IMO

Seems we have a winner...: Discrete solid state.
Unfortunately this still leaves a lot of room for different concepts... I have read a lot of good stuff on Pedja Rogic' output stage, and thinking about building that one. Good choice? I have never designed a PCB before, so would this one be good for a beginner?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Pedja Rogic used a AD844 in a non standard topology. Very nice but it won't qualify as "discrete" if that's what you're after. He was not too keen on other people using his design (commercially that is ) AFAIK. You can find the schematics at his website.

Rudolf Broertjes designed a nice discrete stage but I never made one working as I got lost in the different versions for TDA1543, TDA1545 and TDA1541A. That one is fully discrete and Leo from diyparadise.com uses a version on his Monica TDA1545 DAC. It is supposed to sound very good. It will take time to find the right version for TDA1541A I think.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/monica2_mods_e.html

http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=61

edit: the link on that webpage to the schematics etc. does not work ...

BTW I found this webpage from a fellow dutchman:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/dezaire/CD80mod/IV-omzetter.htm

The remark of the author that cdplayers nearly all sound the same is somewhat suspicious though :D I would design a nice PCB instead of the heap of parts glued together too.

Last edited:
Hello everybody!
I voted for opamps.
Although I still yearn to build a decent solid state I/V - my previous attempts have been disastrous.
Op-amps are very simple to get started with and can be very good when done with care.
My dual TDA1541A with PMD100 (8x OS) works well with opamp IV and bessel filter.
(But I'm still keen to try discrete one day - should I ever get round to it).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.