Great...another USB/DAC project (PCM2707+AD1896+AD1955)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi this is my first post on diyaudio so go easy on me :)

i'm planning on implementing a USB/DAC amp for headphones. why? no apparent reason other than for kicks and I think it'd be a neat project to do. :)

the system level topology I've decided to go with is somewhat generic, USB->PCM2707->AD1896->AD1955->I/V conversion stage (haven't decided what opamps to use yet). The PCM2707 will output 16bit I2S format @ 44.1kHz/48kHz and the AD1896 async sample rate converter will upsample it to 24bit I2S @ 96kHz before passing it to the AD1955 DAC.

the question I have is in regards to the clocking scheme for the AD1896 (sample rate converter) and the AD1955 (DAC). The master clock frequency I plan on using is 256*fs = 24.576Mhz. Given this, what would be your 2 cents in the clocking topology for the AD1896 and AD1955?

I've seen on the AD1896 EVB, they have used an XO to clock the AD1896. And at the MCLK output of the AD1896 (MCLK-O), this clock signal drives the MCLK for the AD1955, after being buffered. Is this recommended? what about using a TCXO instead?

Thanks!

chaparK
To be honest, I am fairly new to the audio scene myself. That being said, I believe it helps in jitter reduction. I'm trying to read up as much material about it as possible, but I've decided to populate it for the time being and test it out myself.

wwenze
I'll take a look at the TE7022L. I'll have to first see how readily available this part is, especially for a hobbyist like me :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.