Upgrading a "mocha JY-M2" multi channel DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I've recently built a 6channel amp for my HTPC based on Tripath TA2020 board.

The source is currently the o/b sound (ASUS M2NPV-VM) based on ADI AD1986A (SoundMAX) codec.

It's pretty decent and has 6ch analog output, however, I'd like to use a better DAC preferably external to the PC chassis (less noise).
A preamp is also on my plans to control the volume and balance (instead of using the PC volume control).

At the moment I don't want to upgrade the sound card or add an additional A/V receiver/decoder.

I have an opportunity to purchase the following Chinese "gadget" for a very low price:
DTS AC3 5.1 DIGIT AUDIO DECODER dac mocha JY-M2

It seems perfect for my need and I wonder if anyone has any experience with it or can suggest a decent upgrade path to make it better (i.e. replacing the opamps5532 or the Crystal decode chip).

Any other insights/suggestions will be appreciated,

Regards,
Gal

Decoder chip seem to be:
CRYSTAL CS493264-CL :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Any insights regarding it's performance as a 2CH Stereo DAC?

I'd love to have a 5.1 decoder with a decent HiFi Stereo abilities - at least better than my o/b sound...

I found two more products based on the same decoder chip, but seem to be better constructed (even though they're both outside my allocated budget):
HLLY HIGH END DTS AC3 5.1 DIGIT AUDIO DECODER DAC
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and this "retro" looking piece (I actually liked it) :
DAC DTS decoder 5.1 Dolby Prologic2

I don't have room for internal sound card (a half hight chassis) and one of the reasons is to move the analog and DAC away from the noisy computer.

Do you have an External sound card with better qualities on that budget (5.1 output)?

I did found the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi External USB- but from some reason it doesn't seem to be a preferable option - or is it !?

If you plan to use the USB connection, you must know that USB1.1 generic drivers don't allow more than 16 bit 48kHz sampling. Creative has drivers for USB 2.0 capable of more.
If you have a digital output on your mother board, then the DAC's from above are a good, but expensive alternative.

Well,
I do have digital output from my mother board and can pass through multichannel sound from it into the above DAC's.

I haven't found a decent USB 2.0 DAC that can process 5.1 DD/DTS so I guess I'll stay with digital output anyhow.

I can get the first product - the mocha JY-M2 - for less than 100$.

If you have better suggestions at the same price range I'll be happy to hear...

I won't mind DIY solutions but couldn't locate suitable boards or combination at that budget....

Any suggestions?

Gal

P.S. - I know a mid range 2nd hand A/V receiver might do the job but I'm looking for something very compact and superior sound quality...

I have no idea if it has a delay function or not -maybe we should ask one of the ebay sellers......
But I'd think it's something I could pretty easily control through the PC so I'm not concerned.
The Teufel Decoderstation looks really nice - but really WAY TOO expensive for what it does - I wonder what decoder chip it uses - I'd be surprised It'll be something much better than the Chinese clones above...

It pretty frustrating that there are so many stereo DAC solution for the DIYers out there - but non that can supply basic 5.1 decoding along with optimized stereo music decoding...

Let me know if you'd find anything interesting...
Gal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.