Upgrading a "mocha JY-M2" multi channel DAC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Galgo is offline Galgo  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrading a "mocha JY-M2" multi channel DAC?

Greetings,

I've recently built a 6channel amp for my HTPC based on Tripath TA2020 board.

The source is currently the o/b sound (ASUS M2NPV-VM) based on ADI AD1986A (SoundMAX) codec.

It's pretty decent and has 6ch analog output, however, I'd like to use a better DAC preferably external to the PC chassis (less noise).
A preamp is also on my plans to control the volume and balance (instead of using the PC volume control).

At the moment I don't want to upgrade the sound card or add an additional A/V receiver/decoder.

I have an opportunity to purchase the following Chinese "gadget" for a very low price:
DTS AC3 5.1 DIGIT AUDIO DECODER dac mocha JY-M2

It seems perfect for my need and I wonder if anyone has any experience with it or can suggest a decent upgrade path to make it better (i.e. replacing the opamps5532 or the Crystal decode chip).

Any other insights/suggestions will be appreciated,

Regards,
Gal
Old 25th May 2010, 03:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Decoder chip seem to be:
CRYSTAL CS493264-CL :

Click the image to open in full size.

Any insights regarding it's performance as a 2CH Stereo DAC?

I'd love to have a 5.1 decoder with a decent HiFi Stereo abilities - at least better than my o/b sound...

I found two more products based on the same decoder chip, but seem to be better constructed (even though they're both outside my allocated budget):
HLLY HIGH END DTS AC3 5.1 DIGIT AUDIO DECODER DAC

and this "retro" looking piece (I actually liked it) :
DAC DTS decoder 5.1 Dolby Prologic2
Old 25th May 2010, 06:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

With that kind of money you can get a decent soundcard in place of what you have now.
Old 25th May 2010, 06:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't have room for internal sound card (a half hight chassis) and one of the reasons is to move the analog and DAC away from the noisy computer.

Do you have an External sound card with better qualities on that budget (5.1 output)?

I did found the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi External USB- but from some reason it doesn't seem to be a preferable option - or is it !?
Old 26th May 2010, 05:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you plan to use the USB connection, you must know that USB1.1 generic drivers don't allow more than 16 bit 48kHz sampling. Creative has drivers for USB 2.0 capable of more.
If you have a digital output on your mother board, then the DAC's from above are a good, but expensive alternative.
Old 26th May 2010, 08:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well,
I do have digital output from my mother board and can pass through multichannel sound from it into the above DAC's.

I haven't found a decent USB 2.0 DAC that can process 5.1 DD/DTS so I guess I'll stay with digital output anyhow.

I can get the first product - the mocha JY-M2 - for less than 100$.

If you have better suggestions at the same price range I'll be happy to hear...

I won't mind DIY solutions but couldn't locate suitable boards or combination at that budget....

Any suggestions?

Gal

P.S. - I know a mid range 2nd hand A/V receiver might do the job but I'm looking for something very compact and superior sound quality...
Old 2nd June 2010, 05:05 PM   #7
vadi is offline vadi  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm looking for such a solution too. Do you know if the Mocha has a delay function? It may be needed for today's flat panel displays.
There is another solution too, but it lacks delay: Teufel Decoderstation.

Here I found a delay box: http://www.js-technology.com/product...products_id=53
Old 2nd June 2010, 05:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have no idea if it has a delay function or not -maybe we should ask one of the ebay sellers......
But I'd think it's something I could pretty easily control through the PC so I'm not concerned.
The Teufel Decoderstation looks really nice - but really WAY TOO expensive for what it does - I wonder what decoder chip it uses - I'd be surprised It'll be something much better than the Chinese clones above...

It pretty frustrating that there are so many stereo DAC solution for the DIYers out there - but non that can supply basic 5.1 decoding along with optimized stereo music decoding...

Let me know if you'd find anything interesting...
Gal

Hide this!Advertise here!