Suggest an active crossover for me please. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2010, 07:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest an active crossover for me please.

This will be going into a system that is a bit schizophrenic. When running a non digital source it will be going through a tube preamp first, then to an active crossover, then to a tube amp for the highs/mids and a solid state for bass. If digital, it will go to a Behringer dcx2496 speaker management system, then some passive attenuators, then to the same amps. I plan to use the Behringer to help determine the optimum crossover point between the bass speakers and the fullrangers, then for non digital sources use a simple active crossover at that point. The reason I need an additional crossover is to avoid the need to have the signal digitized and then "reanalogued" as would happen in the Behringer. So what I'm looking for is an inexpensive, commercial active crossover (pro-sound is fine) with good audio quality. For now, I'm planning on just a 2 way system, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to have the ability to crossover for a stereo 3 way in case I add tweeters later. Any bargains out there I should know about? I really don't want to build something from the ground up, but if there are easy reasonable kits out there that would be okay. I'd prefer to just buy something "off the rack".

Last edited by Racket Scientist; 14th May 2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: mistyped word
Old 14th May 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Another possibility I could go for is something easy to mod - the older Peavey stuff used to have the ICs in sockets, so it was easy to upgrade just by pulling the old ones and replacing them. If you know of something along those lines that would be helpful.
Old 15th May 2010, 04:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Ashly or RANE...

Ashly makes respectable crossovers

Ashly PA Crossovers | Sweetwater.com

There very popular with sound companies so finding a used one at a good price shouldn't be much of a problem. The older models also have their IC's in sockets.

For a bit more money Rane builds an excellent crossover.

AC 23S Active Crossover

~Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!