DAC gallery

What??? Where do you see any russian capacitor in my DAC?
my apologies, I mistakenly mixed your post up with presapian's words

large film/foil/oil caps are effectively useless for HF decoupling in digital circuits, can even be detrimental, as they act as dipole antennas with long leads. I blame lampizator for this sort of practice.

Last edited:
1541 A Dacasarus Rex Mark I

My first DAC build. The name is in reference to it's large size. Spared no space. :eek: Just put on the Maple front.

Attachments

• 1541 a dacasasarus rex 002.jpg
    1541 a dacasasarus rex 002.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 1,745
Under the hood

The dac is based on the flawed Analogmetric design. Gone is the reclocker. Corrected spdif input. Using a CS8412 replacement board. Output is Sony 2's complement, MSB first to a NPC SM5814 digital filter. I2S to dac chip a TDA1541A S1 Crown. I/V is OPA627AU, 7th order GIC Bessel filter with AD8065 output buffer. Rocking sound. Will post second build the Mark II, soon. Dave :D

Attachments

• DAC 021.jpg
    DAC 021.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 1,770
1541 A Dacasarus Rex MK II

Well... Just finished the Mark II. Same digital front end as the first one. DIR9001 replaces CS8412. 2's complement, MSB first, right justified data to NPC SM5814 digital filter. I2S to TDA1541A S1 Crown dac. I/V is Pedja Rogic DDNF on a DVB-Projekt circuit board. No feed back.... Edcor 600/600 passive filter. Outstanding clarity my best DAC to date. :D

Attachments

• MK II 001.jpg
    MK II 001.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 2,341
I/V

Its SQ is mainly determined by the following I/V stage. When that's done with a passive filter and then an AFA, its a very satisfying sound indeed with superb dynamics, natural instrumental timbre and an almost holographic soundstage.
My experience as well. The I/V seems more important then the DAC itself. None of my DAC's sound like the accepted SQ for that particular DAC in it's usual manufacturing implementation. My next project maybe based on the PCM1704.... ;)