DAC gallery - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2014, 04:56 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Default THETA 307 improved

307 new look !

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st July 2014, 09:49 AM   #152
nb7 is offline nb7  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Pegasus II Ultra USB DAC
96kHz/24bit Async. USB on LPC1756 in slave mode
Optic decoupling from analog
MAX II CPLD as clock divider and I2S resync buffer
Two crystal oscillators for x44.1kHz and x48kHz frequencies
AD1853 as main DAC chip in RJ mode
AD8066 as I/U converter
LME49990 as LPF and output driver
board.jpg

With headphone amplifier
pegas2-u.jpg
Old 30th August 2014, 06:35 PM   #153
FRUGIVO is offline FRUGIVO  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default AD1865 DAC IN PROCESS

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Last edited by FRUGIVO; 30th August 2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 6th September 2014, 07:07 PM   #154
FRUGIVO is offline FRUGIVO  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default finished

clean and bright sound
I like it
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 8th September 2014, 09:21 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwood421 View Post
Have you tried the PCM1704? So far to my ears my R2R dacs just sound better. I have a OPPO BDP83SE (Saber) and a CS4398 SRC Lundahls. I am starting a build late summer and will try a number of dacs. I could add the 1794 to list.
Hi

I am looking at a better DAC whre I am currently using CS4397 where I am going to take off the rh v+ and lh v+ either through the Lundahl or Sowters or even cap couple to see what this does.
Old 18th September 2014, 07:37 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Hi, this is my Buffalo III DAC.

The output BAL->SE is done la Ciuffoli, with amorphous Lundahl transformers and Mundorf Supreme + teflon caps.
It has 3 selectable output channels.

It has two input channels: one Amanero async I2S USB and one S/PDIF.
The Amanero board is isolated by a Texas Instruments ISO7640 digital isolator (done the SMD board and soldering myself, it wasn't easy...)

The raw PSU is a nice and clean TIP142 emitter follower with TL431 voltage reference. The AC line is filtered (common and differential mode chokes).

The controller is a small Arduino Nano - it has enough I/O ports to control the DAC registers, select the input and output channels, control the LCD display, the IR remote control and the rotary encoder.

The firmware is based on Hifiduino, but it was completely rewritten and optimized. It has two display modes - a "normal", clutter free one, with essential information, and the full setup mode. The LCD backlight fades out after some time to a lower level and it fades in on user action.

The enclosure is a HiFi2000 Galaxy, very good quality. Front pannel milled by Schaeffer AG.

This is the best DAC I have ever heard, especially with the async I2S input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2334.JPG (311.0 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2340.jpg (156.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 19th September 2014, 02:10 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent77 View Post
Hi, this is my Buffalo III DAC.

The output BAL->SE is done la Ciuffoli, with amorphous Lundahl transformers and Mundorf Supreme + teflon caps.
It has 3 selectable output channels.

It has two input channels: one Amanero async I2S USB and one S/PDIF.
The Amanero board is isolated by a Texas Instruments ISO7640 digital isolator (done the SMD board and soldering myself, it wasn't easy...)

The raw PSU is a nice and clean TIP142 emitter follower with TL431 voltage reference. The AC line is filtered (common and differential mode chokes).

The controller is a small Arduino Nano - it has enough I/O ports to control the DAC registers, select the input and output channels, control the LCD display, the IR remote control and the rotary encoder.

The firmware is based on Hifiduino, but it was completely rewritten and optimized. It has two display modes - a "normal", clutter free one, with essential information, and the full setup mode. The LCD backlight fades out after some time to a lower level and it fades in on user action.

The enclosure is a HiFi2000 Galaxy, very good quality. Front pannel milled by Schaeffer AG.

This is the best DAC I have ever heard, especially with the async I2S input.
It looks avery well arranged bit of kit. Also it seems most use some sort of DAC output transformers especially Lundahls ammorphous cobalt or 80%nickel or other. Have you compared this with capacitor coupling for sound stage depth treble, mid, bass balance etc.
Old 27th September 2014, 03:49 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

If you're using output transformers why on earth are you also using output capacitors? I have a similar DAC that I built using Lundahl transformers. I have no analog stage and no output caps. Just the output of the DAC feeding the Lundahl transformers.

Mark
Old 27th September 2014, 04:01 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allen View Post
If you're using output transformers why on earth are you also using output capacitors? I have a similar DAC that I built using Lundahl transformers. I have no analog stage and no output caps. Just the output of the DAC feeding the Lundahl transformers.

Mark
Like you Mark I agree not traffos with caps. The post above isa 3 way switchable for tranformer or cap out put or predumably op amp. So Vincent could perhaps tell us which he likes best and why. I wouild expect the cap to be the most transparent, but the Traffo depending on which one will be warmer with smooth but less detailed output. I expect the opamps are what op amps are, synthetic.
Old 27th September 2014, 04:05 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Oh, ok. That makes scenes. Using both would not make any sense. These Lundahl transformers are so good that I can't believe people even waste time building analog stages any more. They cost a bit more to buy perhaps but the price is worth it.

Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!