DAC gallery - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2014, 08:36 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

Default Pedja Discrete diamond I/V

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
What I/V you write about? All DACs you mention are voltage out DACs and they need no I/V stage, frankly they works decently with no analogue stage at all, with one capacitor per channel alone.

My favourite to date is WM8804-PCM1794-passive I/V-tube gainstage DAC with Duelund CAST signal capacitors.
Rest of my setup are:
-EAD T-1000 CD transport (modified)
-Kondo KSL-M7 inspired handmade tube preamp
-modified ukrainian tube DHT PSE monoblocks based on 6B4G power triodes (excellent!)
-Merlin VSM Millenium speakers, but i'm working on to replace it by far better handmade ones.

As you can see, there is no single semiconductor in analogue signal path of my setup.
I use the Pedja discrete diamond I/V that is a bit similar to the AD844 on paper (current mirrors). I use that with the Philips TDA1541A S1 Crown. Yes, my voltage out dacs need no I/V and have none. The Saber might have an I/V however that OPPO player is unmodified. I am looking forward to trying the PCM1704 in the near future and possibly the PCM1794. Nice setup with all those valves. My builds for the most part have no negative feedback at least globally. I love the sound of tubes! Keep up the good work.
Old 29th April 2014, 12:44 AM   #142
danzup is offline danzup  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwood421 View Post
Nice... Which one is the favorite to your ears?
All TDA1541 are my fav. Everyone have their own sound.
Old 29th April 2014, 01:52 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
As you can see, there is no single semiconductor in analogue signal path of my setup.
The DAC's a semiconductor and certainly has an analog stage. Besides which the internal digital processing has already added modulation noise. To have a purist approach (like your valve-based analog stages) you'd also want to minimize digital artifacts wouldn't you?

My latest DAC build is here - based on using hundreds of capacitors to implement passive shunts on the supplies. The DACs are TDA1387 (6 in a stack), passive I/V, Chebyshev LC filtering then the analog stages are AD815s, one per channel. There are hand-wound ferrite cored transformers in the base doing SE-unbal conversion. Battery power comes from 3 NiMH AA cells giving over 10hrs of listening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg towerofsong.JPG (523.6 KB, 892 views)

Last edited by abraxalito; 29th April 2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 29th April 2014, 09:26 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

With all this talk about "Power DACs" nowadays, a "Tower DAC" is nice for a change!
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:14 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tried TDA1541A-S1 also with good results in SQ.

AD1865 with CS5813 digital filter sounds very good, but replacing SM5813 with SM5842 gives significantly better SQ. Now it is comparable with my usual set PCM1796/CS8416. I'm rather settled with PCM1796 or 1794 as it reads HD formats and DSD also, so why bother with ancient chips?
Do You used in this compare, similar analogue tube output to this picture?
If I see properly, that power supply transformer is from LINN (it's linn logo?). Greetengs!

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: png WKWA.png (15.0 KB, 893 views)
Old 5th May 2014, 03:20 PM   #146
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  Germany
diyAudio Member

A line pre-amp with built in DAC I made. still need to cut a top and program the micro-controller. has 3 coax and 2 fiber digital inputs (as well as 3 analog inputs) on the rear and one of each on the front. made the entire thing including the panels from scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1702.jpg (607.7 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1701.jpg (764.3 KB, 695 views)
Old 5th May 2014, 03:46 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastik1989 View Post
Do You used in this compare, similar analogue tube output to this picture?
If I see properly, that power supply transformer is from LINN (it's linn logo?). Greetengs!

Click the image to open in full size.
Hello colleagues. From experience, it is desirable to apply the tube stage better options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ??????????????? ???? 23.jpg (458.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 28th May 2014, 07:01 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Default Most recent DAC

Finally getting around to finishing some older projects. This one is a Sheldon Stokes 4398 DAC. Uses 8416 to sample rate convertor and outputs 192 KHz to a CS4398. Works well enough for my streaming and Bluray DTS -Master audio via Toslink. Lundahl transformer based filter for the output. Not on the same level as my 1541 based DAC's however it has it's place. I did install a Tent oscillator module and a dedicated clock power supply. The wood front is a piece of Brazilian Yellow heart with a simple finish. I have a Maple faceplate in the works when my wood working friend finds time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4398 003.jpg (978.9 KB, 235 views)
Old 28th May 2014, 07:03 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Default Another picture

Under the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4398 001.jpg (978.7 KB, 304 views)
Old 28th May 2014, 07:05 AM   #150
diyAudio Member

Default Final picture

Back panel featuring Neutrik connectors. The mini toggle selects Toslink or coax SPDIF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4398 004.jpg (984.0 KB, 291 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!