Expensive USB cable worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure I heard on here that there was a heated discussion about whether it makes a difference to buy a high end USB cable, but i can't find the thread...

So, i'm about to get a nice DAC (modified 1796) and was recommended a £100 wireworld starlight usb cable. It's pushing my budget but i don't want to get a really nice DAC and let it down with a cheaper cable (eg a Belkin home theatre usb cable).

My question is; what are your opinions on high end audio usb cables, is there really £100 worth of difference?

I have an Audiolab 8000a amp, and B+W DM2 speakers.

Many thanks for your input.

I have no doubt that good cables are needed when pushing digital signals through at high rate. However it's hard to tell where "good enough" comes in.

Has any one found a way to see how many packets are dropped through USB?

I have never believed in audiofool cables though.
If it looks good and you think it's worth it then it's your choice.

Then again if a relatively short USB cable of any sort would hinder performance you have bigger problems. Mainly implementation on ether send or receive side.

So I say, start with the cheapest cable you can possibly find and see how it works. If no apparent problems arise then you can look for a good cable that matches the DAC in looks and forget about it.

I wonder how jitter can have an effect.
Packets are received and CRC checked for integrity.
You also have a header and a tail in each packet, and bit stuffing.

USB Protocol Specification

But what do I know.
I don't like USB particularly well as a time-critical interface, mainly due to bad experience with absolute stability under windows with varying load. But that is probably very computer specific and I guess more important than the cable.
You can't blame the cable if the packet don't get transmitted.

Why can't logical signals be logical to understand?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.