PC input on my old 4xtda1541 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Dyolf is offline Dyolf  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default PC input on my old 4xtda1541

Hi
I have a completely non-working Cambridge CD3, with the lovely DAC section just sitting there. Is there any easy way to wire/rebuild the thing, so that I can use it as a dac for my computerbased music? I dont need USB input, just a digital coax would be OK.
Steen
Old 1st May 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Easier than Lego. Borrow, build, buy or steal some kind of SPDIF board, get the relevant datasheets and in no time at all you're done.
Old 1st May 2010, 09:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah..
This was exactly the kind of answer i feared. I am not your averidge DIY forum guy with a knowledge of an electro-engineer. There are 3 main boards in the Cambridge. The top one is the dac-board, the middle must be the power supply, and the bottom makes no sense to me. What do I scrap, and what do I need?
Sorry for my ignorance.
Steen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _ARE3002.JPG (147.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 1st May 2010, 11:48 PM   #4
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

If you don't have much experience with this sort of stuff, I wouldn't recommend you try this. The idea Ray suggested is the best option, but still won't be really easy. If you are willing to persevere, I'm sure the forum members could talk you through it though.

The other option would be to sell the CD3 and buy a kit. Even a broken CD3 should fetch decent money.

Yet another option would be to fix the CD3. How broken is it?
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Its broken.
Both transport (CDM1 mk2) and display is dead. Selling it is not an option, then i'd rather give it away. But if anyone in here were willing to explain a new S/PDIF access to the dac, it could be fun, for me, to try this.
Maybe this has been explained before, and I only need a link to another thread or site.
Steen
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If you start with one of those TDA1543 boards found on EBay, like this one, then it becomes a fairly straightforward wiring problem once you remove the TDA1543.
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:50 AM   #7
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its broken
Okay, fair enough. Like Ray said, the easiest way to get a S/P DIF input is to buy a DAC kit with a S/P DIF input. This one here looks like what you want. It has the well liked DIR9001 receiver, and is the cheapest I saw when I had a quick look on eBay.

How you connect it to the DAC part of your CD3 depends on whether you want the DAC to be oversampling or not. So to OS or to NOS, that's up to you.
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc184 View Post

How you connect it to the DAC part of your CD3 depends on whether you want the DAC to be oversampling or not. So to OS or to NOS, that's up to you.
It would be best not to go there given the nature of the SAA7220 and the following circuitry. Rigging the output of the DIR9001 in order to bypass the SAA7220 is far from simple.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Okay
Now at least I'm beginning to understand the concept. A cheap dac kit from ebay, and then replace the whatever dac chip is on, with the 4x1541a.
Is it that simple?
My musical taste are mostly classic and laidback jazz, so from what I've read, I will opt for the NOS type.
Is there a chance that I will mess up badly when I start with this?
Again, excuse my ignorance
Steen
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyolf View Post
Okay
Now at least I'm beginning to understand the concept. A cheap dac kit from ebay, and then replace the whatever dac chip is on, with the 4x1541a.
Is it that simple?
It is if all you do is link the DIR9001 to the SAA7220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyolf View Post
My musical taste are mostly classic and laidback jazz, so from what I've read, I will opt for the NOS type.
Then you would have to extensively modify the circuitry that precedes the 4 TDA1541's or add the logic needed to reformat the output of the DIR9001 to match that of the SAA7220.

Hide this!Advertise here!