Tweaking a DAC with CS8420 and CS4397

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Electrocompaniet ECD-1 and thinking of to do some tweking on it.. Have read some less good things about the CS8420..

Maybe bypass the SRC or changing PLL filter value, they are not like Crystals optimization! Rfilt=1,8KΩ, Cfilt=0,47uF and Crip=8,2nF:confused:
Or simply rip of the CS8420 and use CS8427 instead?

And the CS4397, have read about a mod of the CM out, pin 25. It's to put a 1KΩ to +5VA and a 1KΩ to AGND.

I have done some updating of caps and put chip caps close to the CSxxxx V in. I think it did some use to the sound, clearer and more space. But it could be the placebo effect..

135 views and no replays, maybe I'm on the wrong forum!?

Any tip of a forum there I may get help is appreciated!

Hi,

I have no input on the modding but I would think that your DAC is not so widely known nor used?

Put some inside pictures of your device and I would guess this could induce more interest on this thread?

I have Abrahamsen V6.0 which should be very similar?

Thread in a finnish forum with pics of my device

I thought the question was rather straightforward but I include a pic of the receiver and DA board and hope it will do it:)

I have a CS8416 now so I will start to do the change hopefully next weekend.. But I will do a test with 22.5792MHz crystal before the change so I know that the CS4397 will work with 44.1KHz in..

Anyway, the board is very similar to your Abrahamsen board!

Attachments

• DA del.JPG
    DA del.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 552
Anyway, the board is very similar to your Abrahamsen board!

Only difference I see is the use of SMD parts and different vintage for the Cirrus Logic chips.

There is a sticker strategically placed on my board ;).

They have these in Elgiganten and you could pop in to see or hear if there are other differences?

Don't install CS8420. My DAC has crashed a couple of times but I understand there is a fix coming for the V6.0?

Don't install CS8420

The stock is CS8420 and I want to change it to an CS8416, but it will be some work, it's not completely pin compatible.. I wanted to do a try with bypass the SRC on the CS8420 but it wasn't just lifting pin 27 and change the crystal fq to 22.5792MHz..

My DAC has crashed a couple of times but I understand there is a fix coming for the V6.0?
Could be a interesting solution! Maybe new board, or a piggyback reset circuit..
Were have you heard/read this?

The stock is CS8420 and I want to change it to an CS8416, but it will be some work, it's not completely pin compatible.. I wanted to do a try with bypass the SRC on the CS8420 but it wasn't just lifting pin 27 and change the crystal fq to 22.5792MHz..

Could be a interesting solution! Maybe new board, or a piggyback reset circuit..

The solution might be a new replacement board?

I'll be back with more info - when I have something more to share.

Now it is official.

Abrahamsen has a bulletin on their web page that a board will be available to V6.0 owners with problems. The bulletin is on the "news" section. In order to find it and read it you'll have to scroll upwards on top of the news.

Abrahamsen Audio | H e a r i n g i s B e l i e v i n g

As is apparent from the date of my last post these things take a while :).

Hopefully they will also sell these boards as an upgrade to others.

Adapter

Now it is official.

Abrahamsen has a bulletin on their web page that a board will be available to V6.0 owners with problems. The bulletin is on the "news" section. In order to find it and read it you'll have to scroll upwards on top of the news.

Have missed your post until now..

I don't find any "news" section on the Abrahmsen web page, is it still valid?

Have heard about an adapter for the CS8416 to fit on a CS8420 pin layout, is that true?

Oettle clock

I have been asking the same question about the CS8420 with no avail because I use a DCX2496 or M-Audio Firewire 410 for active cross. Apparently Cirrus never made a more modern drop in replacement for it despite a legal battle over it's problems which prompted Behringer to pull production of the DCX2496 for a year despite huge demand. The only solution for replacing the CS8420 that I have read about is the Oettle clock board from Pilgham Audio although it would be cheaper to sell your dac and buy a Big Dac Board from Ebay which can be ordered with DIR9001, CS8421 and CS4397.
Pilgham Audio - SRC/Clock
The CS4397 is still one of the best sounding dac chips. Reportedly better than 4398 or PCM1798. It is at it's best when playing direct out through transformers or a blocking cap with no active stages. There is a long thread about the Big Dac Board here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/137976-experience-diy-dac-358.html#post2412840

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.