Need ground advice on a DAC with tube output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2010, 05:04 AM   #1
phrarod is offline phrarod  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need ground advice on a DAC with tube output

I had someone put my dac into two chassis and I still get a decent amount of hum. I went through the grounding scheme and made an illustration.

My questions are:

All the digital and the analog grounds are star grounded to one point in the Dac Box. I want to separate the digital grounds from the analog grounds.

I could float the B- for tube circuit including Fil supply in the Dac box. Since the DAC box is sharing chassis ground with the PS Box I'm not sure how to separate them.

I could separate them and float both star grounds of digital and analog above ground at separate points.

Also I want to get the filament supply as quiet as possible. In the past I would make pseudo center tap with 2 100 Ohm resistors and tap the middle to B-. Not sure the best way to do it when one is in another box.

I should also add that in addition to the dac board in the dac box it has its own separate power supplies - two (one bi-polar) for a total of three supplies being run by two torodial transformers coming off their own power cord. The torodials are shielded with mu-metal from the supplies which in turn are shielded by a grounded shield from the dac board and the analog stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAC grounding.jpg (93.5 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by phrarod; 27th April 2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 27th April 2010, 06:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is the hum only with chassis or every time
what uF you are using to filtrate B+
I had hum when I got 47 uF / 450 V as a first cap and 100 uF / 450 as a second
when I replace them with 330 uF / 450 V as a first and 220 uF / 450 as a second I got rid of hum
Old 27th April 2010, 07:02 AM   #3
phrarod is offline phrarod  United States
diyAudio Member

Hum is consistant. The last caps are 33uF/400V. Before those are 47uF/400V and before those several chokes and before the chokes are EZ81 tubes.

Hide this!Advertise here!