cs8416 + pcm56p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

I have a cs8416 chip (out put: 24bit I2S). Can I use this chip with pcm56p DAC (16 bit I2S)? I know this works with TDA1543 (TDA1543 will just truncate the 8 least significant bits), but will it work just the same with PCM56p?

I have not seen any diy DAC with cs8416 + PCM56p, only cs8416 + TDA154xx DAC's.

/Leif

Actually pcm56p can handle i2c input in 3-wire format. if you truncate the 8 least significant bits then bit length match. Be sure you don't exceed pcm56p's max clock freg and data, latch bits setup and hold times.

If it could handle i2c it would be an instrumentation dac, a serial eeprom or even a microcontroller but not a PCM56. I2S, OTOH, is a 2 channel digital audio format invented by Philips. A PCM56 is serial input mono device. Bit of a mismatch, methinks.

The PCM56 does not accept either I2S or I2C.

I have not seen any diy DAC with cs8416 + PCM56p, only cs8416 + TDA154xx DAC's

There is a good reason for this. A TDA1543 is a stereo DAC which accepts a multiplexed stereo digital format (in this case I2S). A CS84xx outputs a range of multiplexed stereo digital formats (including I2S). Hence these two chips play very nicely with each other.

The PCM56 on the other hand is a mono DAC, it only decodes one channel. Because of this, you will need some sort of glue logic or a digital filter to perform a format conversion. This is why you don't see as many PCM56 DACs around, it's just not as easy. Here is a thread showing how it can be done.

It's a idea worth pursuing in my opinion, apparently the PCM56 is one of the best sounding DAC ICs in non-oversampling applications.

Hi,

I have a cs8416 chip (out put: 24bit I2S). Can I use this chip with pcm56p DAC (16 bit I2S)?

Yes. You can. But you need to use software mode and a microprocessor..

If you are not comfortable implementing your own program you can use the CS8412 or 8414, which have the right format and only need a minimal circuit, like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The CS8414 drops straight in and gives you 96KHz operation.

Ciao T

Hi,

Yes. You can. But you need to use software mode and a microprocessor..

If you are not comfortable implementing your own program you can use the CS8412 or 8414, which have the right format and only need a minimal circuit, like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The CS8414 drops straight in and gives you 96KHz operation.

Ciao T

This is exactly the shematic I was looking at when I wrote my first post. (I guess that I should have been more clear about what I had in mind)

I was hoping that I could get a way with using the CS8416 (in hardware mode) in sted of the CS8412, despit that the CS8416 out put 24 bit data. Apparently I can't do that.

Anyway, I got my hands on a CS8412 chip today so that simplify things garataly. I will use that IC (CS8412), at least for the time being.

Thank you.

/Leif

Hi,

I was hoping that I could get a way with using the CS8416 (in hardware mode) in sted of the CS8412, despit that the CS8416 out put 24 bit data. Apparently I can't do that.

The 24 Bit Data is not the big issue, the PCM56 will only load 16 Bits, but I am not certain the format available as LSBJ will work correctly.

If you are looking for a high quality solution the Cirrus Logic series of receivers is not very good anyway.

Both of the better options actually allow the correct format to be set, that is the Wolfson Micro WM8804 or WM8805 and the Asahi Kasei Micro AK4118 respectively.

I would recommend the WM880X unreservedly, except for the fact that in hardware mode the chip cannot lock onto 176.4KHz data, you need software for that.

Ciao T

Digital decoder Pro

There is dedicated kit for this. All glue logic for bit alignment is on the board. Wiring between "digital decoder" and PCM56 is very easy.

Digital Decoder Pro
The digital decoder is a board allowing you to design your own non-oversampling digital to analog converter (NOS). It interfaces easily with chips like PCM1704, PCM1702, PCM56, AD1861...
The digital decoder pro must be followed by an analog conversion board to work. To reach best listening quality, it can be coupled to an external low jitter clock."

Digital decoder pro

The kit is available in PCB only or assembled and tested.

Here is glue logic for use between cs8412 and pcm56, it avoids interchannel delay.
It can be found with google.

CS8412-PCM56.jpg

Since there is no one seems know the answer,
I had tried my self with my nonos TDA1543,
The original circuit was CS8414 to TDA1543 by mode/format 3 i2s out of CS8414
I seperated the traces of LRCLK, BCLK, SDATA between CS8414 and TDA1543
Add CS8421 to be the combination of CS8414 to CS8421 to TDA1543
set every value on the datasheet of CS8421 and add a tcxo of 16.9344 to CS8421 and set 384Fso and 16 bits I2s mode output to TDA1543,
Set slave in input and master in output to be the working condition of CS8421.

Just replace the cs4398 of http://getinthewoodchipper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Schematic-Prints.pdf to be TDA1543 according to above setting.

WELL... after two days of working.. no sound at all

WHY>>??

Last edited:
Stopped clock

What is the top74HC08 doing? it looks like SCK and 5+, or is the 5+ simply signifying the power (VCC) with just a single signal input.output?

It's to keep the clocks synchronously. The clock for the lower DAC is stopped certain periods of the Latch, hence the name "stopped clock" method.

Anyway the method with simply inverting the latch for 1 channel sounded slightly better. This was tried with the AD1865 though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.