New USB 2.0 192 Khz 24 bit controller chip....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
There will finally be a chip for highend USB interfaces, VIA Tech is launching the new Envy VT1730, which is a USB 2.0 high speed interface chip, with multiple SPDIF and I2S interfaces....

I know, you can't just buy one, but I happens to use a lot of VIA ethernet controllers in my day job, so I have good access to VIA. Maybe do a board with the new part....

More info: VIA Vinyl EnvyUSB 2.0 Audio Controller - VIA Technologies, Inc.
Eval board: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4270434423_70f20dac52_o.jpg

Soren

Last edited:
wasnt a thread, was a post, so its not surprising you didnt find it. no I just suggested it as a usb controller for one of the input boards for the ackodac sabredac. jkeny ended up putting together a modified MTECH HIFACE for it, but I would much prefer a proper input board with the possibility of multichannel.

what I meant was, only you or whoever had the NDA would be able to build up the board, meaning only fully populated boards could be bought from you. interesting, but not ideal, because unless you offered something the mtech doesnt ie multichannel, or it was considerably cheaper than buying a hiface and modding it yourself, there really isnt anything gained and I would rather just stick to something I have some input into. i'll still be watching though

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Async or not, but the VIA chip seems to have support for a word clock input, so you would generate the master clock....

The hiface is not bad, but I want to go directly to I2S.... And probably cheaper, VIA chips are usually not that expensive :)

It also seems like that the hiface use special drivers, VIA will probably be more standard, although I don't know the details yet.

I don't know yet what would be possible to offer, but I could imagine doing a small board with I2S I/O....

Soren

Joined 2009
Paid Member
What are the advantages of VIA compared to

https://www.xmos.com/products/development-kits/usbaudio2

Available also as chip only from Digikey.
Seems to do similar things.....

Haven't seen that yet, look VERY interesting, and much more DIY friendly.... I like parts that Digikey carry :)

I seems to be able to do everything, if you have the right software for it. So the question is software, how much source can you get.... And what about the Windows drivers, just say contact them. Which I will do....

Soren

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Soren,

> just say contact them. Which I will do....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/166354-hiface-usb-i2s-24bit-192khz-6.html#post2185059

Andrea has done that already. You may contact him for details.

Don't follow that group buy thread.... But I'll contact xmos directly anyway, often help when you have a company behind, which I have. And I like to get info directly from the source if possible....

If you wish to go xmos, please join force with us.
Together we'll make more progress.

I like to share ideas and info and sometimes the finished design. But if I do any actual design I will do it on my own, are not really a collaborate guy....

Soren

So, we gave up ? I am not technically able to contribute too much, but this is a good thread, let's keep it alive.

Thanks,

D.

Personally I say wait it out, there will be a lot of product in 6 months to a year to chose from. I don't think now is the time to buy/invest in a USB-I2S implementation, nothing really meats the 3 requirements excpet the Ayre implementation and its just a mater of tim till the chinese copy it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.