Should I Consider an Outboard DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a Cambridge 640C v2 player which I sounds excellent in my sytem but I was wondering if an outboard DAC would really increase performance to justify the expenditure. So I'd like to know what your take is on the current crop of inexpensive DACS. I'm currently taking a look at the V-DAC, Dac Magic and the Matrix Mini-i. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Those kind of replacements will, I'm largely guessing here, provide similar results to your cd player as it stands. If you want improvements you'll have to modify the 640 or sell it and move up. Changing to an inexpensive off-board will just change the flavour a bit, and as modern CD players and DACs all sound rather alike it's not even going to be much of a flavour change.

Simon

Thanks guys. This is the same advice I'm getting from some honest dealers I know and I decided not to pursue it further.

Currrently, with dual Wolfson DAC's, I guess it would take a fairly large expenditure to replace the Cambridge with an external DAC or new CD player that's significantly better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.