CS8420 SPDIF grounding question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I am about to improve the SPDIF input on my Berhringer SRC2496 by connecting a new RCA directly to the CS8420.

I'm just a bit puzzled on the grounding. The CS8420 datasheet shows different ground points for the RCA and the chip, and I could imagine a ground loop if I would connect the ground pin of the chip (pin 5) to the cold of the RCA (RCA is grounded to the star point). On the other hand, what other ground point should I connect pin 5 to?

Or should I just leave it on the board as it should be grounded correctly in original state (in other words just connect pin 4 to the hot of the RCA and that's it?)

Thanks for helping me out here...

Capture.JPG

So, where does the RCA ground go to? Star point?

And where does the RXN ground go to? Leave it as is as it already should be grounded properly on the PCB? Scratch the laquer off the PCB and ground it to the ground plane? Or ground it at the RCA (via cap)?:confused:

Digital should always have a GND plane, star grounds are no good (understatement) with digital. If nothing else the signal is closely coupled to the ground as at these speeds the return path follows the path of least inductance, i.e. dircectly under the signal track, no ground plane means the return has to meander all over = noise, EMC problems etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.