Capacitorless PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• caps.PNG
    caps.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,293
I did write to Nazar guess he's busy. Didn't get a reply
Strange, i dont receive any letter.
Those PS are usual
Really? Then show me the same.
Should be called electrolytic-capacitor-less.
yes
Curious though on how it sounds.
Excellent(if properly calculated, build and PCB traced) compared to BG, Nichicons, Elnas etc
PSU for High end audio without electrolytic capacitors - English - Black Gate capacitors Cerafine Electrolytic electronic capacitor Nichicon power supply Pureism Silmic - Nazar audio innovations
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blog...nd-audio-without-electrolytic-capacitors.html

he-he 0.2ohm resistor with 15v regulator:D

In this web page:

PSU for High end audio without electrolytic capacitors - English - Black Gate capacitors Cerafine Electrolytic electronic capacitor Nichicon power supply Pureism Silmic - Nazar audio innovations

I read:

R2=(1,25-Ueb) / (0.3/Uout)+Iload
where Uout-output voltage V, Ueb-emitter-base voltage VT1, VT4 V, Iload- load current А.

A resistor usually has dimension in Ohm

In the above formula which is the R2 dimension?

R2 = V / (A/V) + A has not Ohm dimension (Ohm = V / A)

What is 0.3?

And which is 0.3 dimension?

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
not correct. Remember Ohm's law at least. And there is formulas to calculate properly.

And output impedance of this circuit is 0.1-0.2ohm

Yes you're right, it depends on R2 doesn't it. The 2mA is for the first transistor. What's the value of R2?

Did you check the output Z of the circuit without the shunt, just the 317?
According to the data sheet, it's 0.02 ohms up to 10kHz.

jd

Last edited:
Really? Then show me the same.
I don't want to get into arguments, I apreciate your work, but I think you didn't invented the shunt-regulated PS. Or capacitance multiplication filtration schematics. I saw those first time in '80's when i started playing with electronic schematics ( I think even "Radio" had a few published - if you are old enough to remember).

Capacitance multiplier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looking again at the circuit, the shunt transistor is a small signal type with probably 600mW max dissipation. For say 500mW at 15V, that puts the shunt current at around 33mA, plus 2mA for the first transistor so say 35mA total.
The voltage across R3 is 1.2V, so across R2 we have 0.6V at 35mA so ballpark figure for R2 would be some 170 ohms.
Does that look sensible?

jd

Last edited:
In the above formula which is the R2 dimension?
Ohm
R2 = V / (A/V) + A has not Ohm dimension (Ohm = V / A)
R2 = V / (P/V)+A
What is 0.3?

And which is 0.3 dimension?
Max Power dissipation of 547\557 (at 70-80 amb/ temp)
Did you check the output Z of the circuit without the shunt, just the 317?
yes, he has (as any NFB regulator) inductive output impedance, that is output current dependent (as output noise)
I don't want to get into arguments, I apreciate your work, but I think you didn't invented the shunt-regulated PS. Or capacitance multiplication filtration schematics. I saw those first time in '80's when i started playing with electronic schematics ( I think even "Radio" had a few published - if you are old enough to remember).
Its not a shunt type regulator and dont have cap. multiplication, look carefully.
Advantages of this schematic is
-no electrolitycs and it problems
-low and stable(resistive) output impedance
-Perfect transient response (Series regulator(317\337) is completely detached from load)
-High ripple rejection and low noise
-No dependence noise-output current, output impedance-output current
-no global nfb

Disadvantages
-Efficiency
so across R2 we have 0.6V at 35mA so ballpark figure for R2 would be some 170 ohms.
Ohm's law R=U\I ... 17ohms
R2=(1,25-Ueb) / (0.3/Uout)+Iload

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.