Help me decide which of these 2 TDA1541 based DAC kits to buy. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2010, 01:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help me decide which of these 2 TDA1541 based DAC kits to buy.

I'm looking forward to upgrade the sound of my sony player, But I dont have the time to build a DAC from scratch or buy a board and source the parts separately, I can only buy a kit , may it be assembled or not , as long as the parts are complete, Been searching alot, And it came down to this two different TDa1541 dac implementations.

My question is , Which of these two have better implementation, From board layout to power regulation count and to the analog stage design, based on what can be seen from the pictures provided by the seller.

The first one is from hifidiy.net , A single TDA1541 chip dac with tube output stage amd no opamp on the signal path. TDA1541 DAC - $265.00 : hifidiy.net

The second one is from raindrop_hui of Ebay, DAC Kit DIR9001+TDA1541A 2.0B OS/NOS with HDAM - eBay (item 320517099516 end time Apr-23-10 23:56:44 PDT)

Note, I provided this pic from raindrop_hui of Ebay without his permission, For the Purpose that this can be seen for a longer time possible , than Ebay auction would allow. The Pictures of the Diyhifi.net dac can be seen on the link.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 19th April 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Raindrop_hui's one looks really nice, dual DAC, HDAM I/V conversion, nice OpAmps, nice caps, DIR9001 receiver.
I was looking into that one too...
Also, I am not found of NOS sound and I am glad that the raindrop_hui one it is switchable.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 19th April 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 6th November 2010, 05:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Hui Raindrop dual TDA1514A DAC

Some people have reported noise and voltage problems with their Hui Raindrop dual TDA1514A DAC's

But I guess this could be a few isolated cases ?
Old 4th December 2010, 05:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

After Buying the Raindrop Dual Td1514A DAC I can say there are no problems
with the quality of the product my only negative would be that the when replacing better quality components is that they are very hard to remove without damaging the double sided layer track so it seems the 2mm thick track stated is not thick enough as you have to be extremely careful when removing components (or a magician).
Old 4th December 2010, 06:22 AM   #5
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

its 2mm wide, not thick, sounds like they used only 1/2oz or less copper thickness. you are desoldering everything as much as possible first, or just heating and pulling? do you have a set of hot tweezers? also adding flux when you do this helps

Hide this!Advertise here!