Best DIY preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a preamp, either a kit or PCB with list of parts.
It needs volume control and source inputs. Looking to build the best quality preamp to avoid upgradeitis at a later stage!
Any links or advice would be appreciated, after weeks looking online i havent progressed with a decision.

Here is my recommendation:

Its author is Stefan Dreyer, a German.

At the heart of Stefan's control-board (Srefan also offers a relay-board and an extension control-board if you want to listen to 5.1 or 7.1 sound)
is a PIC18F4550 µProcessor designed by the "Microchip" company.

The PIC18F4550 is an 8-Bit RISC-processor with an USB-interface.

The µP does the following:

- it selects one of 8 to 16 sources connected to the relay-board(s)

- the selected source is pre-amplified by a socketed - OP-AMP (for example: OPA2132, AD823AN, ...)

- the pre-amplified source is fed to a BurrBrown PGA2311 attenuator

- the PIC18F4550 drives a 2 x 16 Lines LCD-display, so you can see what you are doing

- each selected source can be individually programmed, concerning the pre-amplificating level, the name of the source, ...

- during operation Source Select, Attenuation, Mute, ... can be remotely controlled via INFRARED

- the PIC18F4550 comes pre-programmed with the current Firmware

- Stefan offers firmware-updates to the PIC18F4550, downloadable via USB (his Pre-AMP is detected as an USB-device in WINDOWS)

- His boards are perfectly manufactured, double-sided, contacted-through...

This is what you can order from him:

His Pre-AMP is presented in detail on his homepage: PicPlayer

The documentation also contains the complete schematics and the BoM.
The documentation is written in German.

If you have any questions I will try and answer or contact Stefan directly.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Last edited:
Dodd Audio has just released a kit version of their tube buffer preamp for $350. I own a Pass B1 but every commercial review I've come across on the Dodd preamps rank them as some of the best you can buy. Dodd is offering the kit at a discount on AudioCircle. I wants one bad.

Attachments

• dodd.jpg
    dodd.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 3,329
I would think that the Dodd is OK, but would bet that internet comment is highly boosted by tube-a-holic fan-boy dogma!

My money would be on a B1, and if you need gain stick a 1:2 transformer in front of it. (That would help with any ground-loop issues too).

J.

I have finally decided on the followig for preamp/phono stage volume control duties. Any thoughts

Hgh end phono preamp by Andrea Ciuffoli

For volume control ,Lighter note full kit by buildanamp.com

B1 Mesmerizer boards, i think buildanamp have some

An excellent set for a pre-amp. Good choices. I too recently went for the DCB1 & Lighter note boards. I have had a B1 classic for over a year now and it rocks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.