Newb DIY DAC kit questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day, everyone.

After repairing some vintage audio, I want to dive deeper.

It has been a long time since I actually played with electronic kits for fun. Years of avionics repair sort of took the fun out of doing it in my off time. But now I am really getting into it again.

I have a JVC XL-V33 CD player I re-belted. works fine, but it is a first or second gen player with single PCM56P DAC. I picked up the DAC kit with the Crystal chips CS8416 as digital receiver and CS4397 as DAC. Supposedly the new DAC is an improvement in music reproduction.

The JVC uses Yamaha YM3613B DIR and NPC SM5807EP DIF to feed the Burr Brown PCM56P.

The kit has an RCA and TOSlink input and is compatible with SPIDF. Came with power supply.

Questions-

1. Will the output from the JVC digital chips be readable by the crystal chips? does not look like it uses SPDIF.

2. If it will read it- where do I pick off the signal? 16bit serial into the DIR? Dig out from DIF?

3. Will I need to put in some kind of equalization circuit- like a 75ohm resistor and inline cap? I will use very small coax line I have left over from work. Not sure of it's rated impedance.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Jim L.

Good day, everyone.

After repairing some vintage audio, I want to dive deeper.

It has been a long time since I actually played with electronic kits for fun. Years of avionics repair sort of took the fun out of doing it in my off time. But now I am really getting into it again.

I have a JVC XL-V33 CD player I re-belted. works fine, but it is a first or second gen player with single PCM56P DAC. I picked up the DAC kit with the Crystal chips CS8416 as digital receiver and CS4397 as DAC. Supposedly the new DAC is an improvement in music reproduction.

The JVC uses Yamaha YM3613B DIR and NPC SM5807EP DIF to feed the Burr Brown PCM56P.

The kit has an RCA and TOSlink input and is compatible with SPIDF. Came with power supply.

Questions-

1. Will the output from the JVC digital chips be readable by the crystal chips? does not look like it uses SPDIF.

2. If it will read it- where do I pick off the signal? 16bit serial into the DIR? Dig out from DIF?

3. Will I need to put in some kind of equalization circuit- like a 75ohm resistor and inline cap? I will use very small coax line I have left over from work. Not sure of it's rated impedance.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Jim L.

Pin 7 is the SPDIF out. I tried to attach a pdf.

Attachments

• 3613b.pdf
    71.4 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.