Hypex DSP module(s) - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2013, 12:26 PM   #431
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

I don't understand why anyone would consider buying the Hypex DLCP if they are going to use an external DAC. Get a digital miniDSP instead.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:47 PM   #432
APK is offline APK  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I understand what your saying but from a DIY'ers forum prospective, it's just a pity that a little extra flexibility wasn't designed in to what otherwise looks like an excellent product.
Old 13th March 2013, 01:14 PM   #433
JLOP is offline JLOP  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
How many of us would really want to do that? The hypex DACs aren't good enough? How would you synchronize the external DACs?
I Did not find anything about Dacs and output circuits in the brochure and pdf. So how to know, unless buy and try ? and not so cheap...
sure a pity digitals outputs are not provided for multi-channel XO with our beloved DACs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
As long as you are aware of the implications of the unsynchronized buffering approach used in that design.
which are ?
Old 13th March 2013, 01:26 PM   #434
Julf is online now Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLOP View Post
I Did not find anything about Dacs and output circuits in the brochure and pdf. So how to know, unless buy and try ? and not so cheap...
Well, there are the specifications to start with, then you can of course look at the chips used...

Quote:
sure a pity digitals outputs are not provided for multi-channel XO with our beloved DACs
I am sure the hypex DACs are more than good enough. I prefer to focus on the speakers, the algorithms and especially getting the digital EQ and crossover frequencies right.

Quote:
which are ?
The unsynchronized buffering approach has 2 main issues. One is the inevitable delay - not an issue in normal listening, but definitely an issue when using the system for movie sound or real-time performance. The other issue is the implication of "unsynchronized" - the DAC consumes data at one rate, the source feeds it at another, and there is no synchronisation. Clock drift will cause the buffer to empty or fill, eventually leading to buffer under- or overflow that might or might not be an issue depending on the stability and precision of your clocks, and the length of continuous music you listen to.

These might or might not be concerns depending on your application, the important thing is to be aware of the trade-offs in order to make an informed decision.
Old 13th March 2013, 01:27 PM   #435
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post
I understand what your saying but from a DIY'ers forum prospective, it's just a pity that a little extra flexibility wasn't designed in to what otherwise looks like an excellent product.
The question is if an external DAC will benfit. The goal of the DLCP was to make a transparent DAC. It that goal is reached, it doesn't get better.

If you for some reason absolutely want to use your own DAC, it makes no sense to buy a product where you're paying quite a bit for a high quality DAC. The software in miniDSP is great and their newest minishark has plenty of processing power.

The DLCP is really for those who want a high quality one in all product. And it would be nice to hear some feedback soon from people who have tried it and compared it to something of good quality.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:09 PM   #436
APK is offline APK  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am sure the hypex DACs are more than good enough. I prefer to focus on the speakers, the algorithms and especially getting the digital EQ and crossover frequencies right.
Dacs and squeezing every last ounce out of a system is just as important as speakers and algorithms. It is after all DIY.

Quote:
If you for some reason absolutely want to use your own DAC, it makes no sense to buy a product where you're paying quite a bit for a high quality DAC. The software in miniDSP is great and their newest minishark has plenty of processing power
I understood this to possibly a better product than the miniDSP
Its just a shame its a little inflexible.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:15 PM   #437
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dacs and squeezing every last ounce out of a system is just as important as speakers and algorithms. It is after all DIY.
I tend to prefer to focus on audible improvements.

Quote:
It's often better to do 95% of the possibly applications well than try to go for every possible scenario.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:17 PM   #438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
If you for some reason absolutely want to use your own DAC, it makes no sense to buy a product where you're paying quite a bit for a high quality DAC.
But imagine the audiophile bragging rights of a full stack of 3 or 4 DACs and 6 or 8 monoblock amps - all in a titanium or carbon fibre rack
Old 13th March 2013, 02:30 PM   #439
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes. In regards to the quality of the hardware. The part that you don't want!

For me it's seems miniDSP are years ahead of Hypex in terms of software.
Old 13th March 2013, 03:03 PM   #440
JLOP is offline JLOP  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
And it would be nice to hear some feedback soon from people who have tried it and compared it to something of good quality.
Definetely, this is the way to go. Of course if Hypex Dacs are such good that they compete with other recognized Dacs on the market, why bother ? But they dont help us that much in this direction, and just a spec is "a bit short". The DAC processor is not even in the brochure. And we miss some real life SQ feedback. Problem at this price, not likely to have so many from DIY forum ?

Hide this!Advertise here!