Hypex DSP module(s) - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2010, 07:24 PM   #31
sergiof is offline sergiof  Portugal
diyAudio Member

September is ending... sorry for the stress, but how are things going?
Old 27th September 2010, 01:40 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiof View Post
September is ending... sorry for the stress, but how are things going?
Things are going well, we've started a preproduction batch.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:22 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,

I am really looking forward to these DSP modules, it will remove the need for a PC based crossover. Although it works the WAF is not high enough as it is the centerpiece in my livingroom setup. So when will actual production start? And my followup question is, when can I buy these in your webshop?

Thanks!
Old 30th September 2010, 06:21 AM   #34
mac is offline mac  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninfendo View Post
when can I buy these in your webshop?
+1
Old 30th September 2010, 07:11 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

We are working on a small sample batch now, this will be released in a couple of weeks to several beta testers in the Netherlands.

After the hardware is stable we will start up production.

DSP developing is not an easy task......

Your patience is appreciated.

Jan-Peter
Old 11th November 2010, 06:55 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

I've been wanting something with a bit higher parts spec than MiniDSP's offerings and linear phase support. Assuming IIR+FIR includes phase correcting FIR the preliminaries look promising---S/PDIF and USB audio in and three way balanced out cover my needs. Gave the designer a whirl to see if I could mock up my current linear phase, three way LR6 crossover and EQ but, unlike SigmaStudio or DSPreLab, Filter Designer 2.0 doesn't seem to be able to render the transfer functions without hardware attached.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:24 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hello chaps.

I am currently speccing a three-way active crossover and stumbled across this thread.

Until now I have been looking at using two minidsp units to create two three way and subwoofer (effectively four-way) crossovers. I would also be interested in a higher quality unit than the minidsp, so your product looks very interesting to me.

One thing I would like to ask though: Will your unit be able to process four channels, if for instance you bought a six channel unit and added a 2 channel daughter board? (the extra two channels for the stereo sub-woofers).

Also, one thing that has become clear, is the difficulty of volume control and gain management. I had originally intended to use my Denon AVC-A10SE AVR pre amp outputs to the minidsp modules, and the outputs of these to a power amp for each driver. From reading other people's experience, it seems that this is less desirable than utilising the full (bandwidth? head-room? I'm not sure of the terminology) of the ADC and DSP and having a pre-amp and volume control after the DSP. This leaves my AVR redundant and surround sound next to useless. Can you comment on how I could use your product in this way, or indeed if I would be better to create a stereo system with pre-amp after the DSP and forget the surround receiver I have.

Also, and I'm sure it is a sensetive subject of course, do you have a projected price for this unit? A rough estimate would be gratefully received. I want to know how it will compare to two minidsp units in terms of price.

Thank you for your attention,

Jai

Last edited by jaistanley; 17th November 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 17th November 2010, 11:13 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

sorry to bother you (again), but I would like to know if you're planning an I2S input on the standalone DSP module. i would either like to know if there's a way in which you can use a "2.1 configuration" out of that (stereo 2-way plus a mono woofer).

and the praxis question, when is it coming on sale? (sorry, but i had to ask)

thank you for your attention,
Sťrgio
Old 17th November 2010, 03:31 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twest820 View Post
I've been wanting something with a bit higher parts spec than MiniDSP's offerings and linear phase support. Assuming IIR+FIR includes phase correcting FIR the preliminaries look promising---S/PDIF and USB audio in and three way balanced out cover my needs. Gave the designer a whirl to see if I could mock up my current linear phase, three way LR6 crossover and EQ but, unlike SigmaStudio or DSPreLab, Filter Designer 2.0 doesn't seem to be able to render the transfer functions without hardware attached.
It's good to hear that!
I think you haven't seen the option under:
file-new- (products)

Select AS2 for example, and you can make some filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaistanley View Post
Hello chaps.

I am currently speccing a three-way active crossover and stumbled across this thread.

Until now I have been looking at using two minidsp units to create two three way and subwoofer (effectively four-way) crossovers. I would also be interested in a higher quality unit than the minidsp, so your product looks very interesting to me.

One thing I would like to ask though: Will your unit be able to process four channels, if for instance you bought a six channel unit and added a 2 channel daughter board? (the extra two channels for the stereo sub-woofers).

Also, one thing that has become clear, is the difficulty of volume control and gain management. I had originally intended to use my Denon AVC-A10SE AVR pre amp outputs to the minidsp modules, and the outputs of these to a power amp for each driver. From reading other people's experience, it seems that this is less desirable than utilising the full (bandwidth? head-room? I'm not sure of the terminology) of the ADC and DSP and having a pre-amp and volume control after the DSP. This leaves my AVR redundant and surround sound next to useless. Can you comment on how I could use your product in this way, or indeed if I would be better to create a stereo system with pre-amp after the DSP and forget the surround receiver I have.

Also, and I'm sure it is a sensetive subject of course, do you have a projected price for this unit? A rough estimate would be gratefully received. I want to know how it will compare to two minidsp units in terms of price.

Thank you for your attention,

Jai

What do you mean with a 2 channel daughter board? We only have a six channel dsp board, each channel can be filtered separately by the DSP. And each channel is free to use. So you can make many configurations like: 6way speaker, stereo 3way, stereo 2way with two subwoofers, or stereo 2 way (only use 4 channels).
It's also possible to connect two modules together.

The volume control in this module is done inside the DSP, so that the ADC is always working in its best region. You can use this module as a pre-amplifier because of its many inputs with an optional inputboard, and remote control board function. I will place a new manual to make things clear.
I donít know the price yet, but you canít compare this with a minidsp unit (specifications, features etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiof View Post
sorry to bother you (again), but I would like to know if you're planning an I2S input on the standalone DSP module. i would either like to know if there's a way in which you can use a "2.1 configuration" out of that (stereo 2-way plus a mono woofer).

and the praxis question, when is it coming on sale? (sorry, but i had to ask)

thank you for your attention,
Sťrgio
Itís possible to make a 2.1 configuration, you will only need five channels (out of six).

For example:
Channel 1: tweeter left
Channel 2: woofer left
Channel 3: tweeter right
Channel 4: woofer right
Channel5: subwoofer
Channel6: none

Iím sorry, but we wonít place a I2S input on the DSP module. Weíve started a sample batch, so that when problems occur, we can change the platform. I cannot say when we can sale this products.
Old 1st December 2010, 02:26 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

another "silly" question... apart from the analog in (useful for analog records) will it have any kind of line out (headphones amplifier)?

or maybe a jack output, just for monitoring...

Hide this!Advertise here!