Hypex DSP module(s) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2010, 09:02 AM   #11
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default A simple preamp

As I've moved from my old hi-fi, I realise that all my input requirements are now digital. My wish-list is therefore very simple - a straightforward, two-channel preamp which accepts 3 or 4 digital inputs. has a remote control volume and a line output. If it has more outputs, that's fine. If extra outputs can be routed off to provide two-channel outputs to a poweramp in other rooms, even better.

I look forward to seeing how this develops.
Old 10th April 2010, 04:36 AM   #12
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs_Hypex View Post
Preamp replacement: We want to set up the board in blocks, on block is the DSP (2/4/6 channels) to which other universal boards can be connected to.
Good decision, I'd say. It's probably the most consistent concept, as it offers a high degree of individualization without having to have multitple redundant products in the lineup.

It puts you in direct competition with established DIY module manufacturers, though. Those are having a head start of a couple of years in the market. Thus, the advantage of Hypex modules would have to reflect in both quality (performance) and price.

As an example for how to offer a better product than the competition (and your former lineup), here's an important lack in Hypex' approach so far: multi platform compatibility! You shouldn't make the mistake to force your customers into using Windows 2000 style software any longer. Serving the Mac OS platform is one of today's requirements in a multimedia home, studio or broadcast environment. Serving the linux platform is one of today's requirements for integrated/embedded devices. Thus more OEM products aimed at the (semi-) professional or high end market would be possible.

Recommendation: make it platform independent. Use only (open) standards, a well thought out software architecture and develop separate UIs for different operating systems. With today's software development techniques this is easier than you might guess. Just think of the OEM (end user) market. People will have to use an interface (either hardware or software) in their everyday life.

Quote:
remote trigger > noted
Ah. I always seem to forget this, too. A very important point, altgough it's actually a missing feature in the UcD modules already.

Quote:
it should have a digital out > I'm sorry but I don't think we will go for this option, at least not for now
Digital output should at least not be prevented. Some DIYers (like me) might want to daisy chain (and interconnect) digital stages, AES/EBU might be necessary for this.

Cheers,
Sebastian.
Old 12th April 2010, 07:10 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
it should have a digital out > I'm sorry but I don't think we will go for this option, at least not for now
Digital output should at least not be prevented. Some DIYers (like me) might want to daisy chain (and interconnect) digital stages, AES/EBU might be necessary for this.
Oke there are two kinds of digital outputs:
1 digital throughloop, meaning that the digital signal that goes in also comes out, without any processing, delay or channel selection.
This is the digital out that IS available on the new 6-channel DSP

2 You could also include a digital out after the DSP. But this means you also need the converters for this (one digital standard to AES/EBU standard) and you need processing for this.
This is the digital output that will NOT be available on out hardware

I hope this helps you out
Old 12th April 2010, 07:39 AM   #14
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hope this helps you out
Yes, it does.

I take it you refer to the I2S/DOUT/DIN signals between DSP and DACS that could be tapped off? That's what I was thinking about, a connector (and not having to solder on the PCB). A true AES3 format would have been nice, but I understand it would be overly complicated (and too expensive) for the core functionality of the DSP module (and linking between modules inside the same enclosure).

Thanks,
Sebastian.
Old 1st August 2010, 04:44 AM   #15
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Peter View Post
We are now very very close, early to half September we will have this product available...is our planning...

Price is difficult to say, we will try to have a complete set available for something around EUR 650~750 ex. VAT.

A complete set will mean;
- DSP board
- LCD display
- input/output board with XLR connectors
- small control board with buttons for controlling inputs and volume setting
- linear power supply

Regards,

Jan-Peter
Jan-Peter, will the DSP board be available/functional without the ‘complete’ set? I imagine the buttons/encoders/connectors/LCD and power supply are things that many people will be able to source cheaper alternatives for.

Also, may I ask:
What is your volume control solution? How is it superior to the PGA chips?
Do you have method for correcting phase response?
How big is the DSP board?

Thanks
Old 1st August 2010, 05:23 AM   #16
mac is offline mac  United States
diyAudio Member

Are there plans for this product to include speaker measurement and auto correction, similar to how the DEQX products work?
Old 1st August 2010, 06:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb View Post
Jan-Peter, will the DSP board be available/functional without the ‘complete’ set? I imagine the buttons/encoders/connectors/LCD and power supply are things that many people will be able to source cheaper alternatives for.

Also, may I ask:
What is your volume control solution? How is it superior to the PGA chips?
Do you have method for correcting phase response?
How big is the DSP board?

Thanks
* Yes, we will have the DSP board separate available
* Volume control is done inside the DSP, not with volume control right after D/A converter
* Size DSP board will be roughly 110x125mm

Jan-Peter
Old 1st August 2010, 06:38 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Are there plans for this product to include speaker measurement and auto correction, similar to how the DEQX products work?
No...I'm sorry...

We think that correction should be done manual and there are so many other measurement systems available we prefer to spend all our time in developing a great audiophile DSP platform...

Jan-Peter
Old 4th August 2010, 10:29 AM   #19
fram is offline fram  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan-peter and all Hypex team.

Is it possible to have a preliminary datasheet about the High End DSP Board?
Old 18th August 2010, 10:43 PM   #20
Dresden is offline Dresden  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, that's one thing we are searching for. The perfect solution to use the "same" board also as 2 two and 4 channel. And besides this we will also have to look for a good solution to make the board compatible/configurable with all of our other products, UcDxxxST/UcDxxxHG/ and OEM series together with either a linear or a switched mode power supply.

We do want to take some time for this so we won't have to disappoint some first buyers for missing features on they product.
I'm very interested in seeing a DSP solution which can be used as a 4-Chnl crossover, to which I can plug either a 4-Chnl class-D amp, or mix-and-match mono class-D amps. I've been searching the internet for the past seven days or so, but most of the things I've seen fall short of what I'm trying to do--it seems I'll be clumping together a 4-Chnl crossover (albeit one which has two RCA inputs, one of which will be unused as it will be installed individually for each active speaker), and two separate class-D amps (given the greater power requirements for mid-bass and low-mid drivers).

In short, I would like the modules to build my own 'AS2.100'--but in a 4-Chnl configuration (an 'AS4.100/400'?).

For the time being, I'll have to do the mix-and-match.

Hide this!Advertise here!