Hypex DSP module(s) - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2012, 08:44 AM   #151
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
I will wait for the final presentation of the product with detailed measurements etc. (which I'm sure will follow) before I decide if I'll pull the trigger or not.

I too was following (and paying for) the latest and greatest developments in the Sabre arena for many years (since the first Buffalo to be exact) but I came to realise this is a fund-sucking project that never ends.
Personally, I never managed to say "OK this is my DAC in its final form" - it actually only happend when I *had* to box it up to sell it and get the next version. You see the next best I/V, power supply, clock etc are always around the corner...
[And I only went for stereo - now that I need at least 6 channels (i.e. active loudspeakers), complexity and cost issues would be exacerbated.]

I'm a bit fed up with that and decided I want something that works great out of the box (I trust Hypex won't release a sub-par product) to listen to my music without any significant compromises.
Having sold my Buffalos, my next source is either going to be this DSP or the Metric Halo LIO8.

*Then*, if I'm really bored or have money to spare, I might go on chasing "Buffalos", FIFOs, clocks and the like, just for the fun of it.
Or, better still, focus on other DIY projects that I keep postponing like headamps and, of course, loudspeakers.
+1

In the end the tuning of the filters and corrections made by the user are more influencing the end result!
Old 28th September 2012, 09:51 AM   #152
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

If Hypex have the same knowledge about DAC that they have about power amps, it should be great. Hopefully a true transparent DAC with the best volume control option. My Buffallo II DAC with exaU2IS is on the way out of the door...... Digitally out from a pro soundcard is many ways a better option because of good and solid drivers that work easily with all windows programs besides the Asio driver.

I'm more concern about the software and crossover options though. What I've seen and heard about here hasn't been impressive.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:57 AM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
If Hypex have the same knowledge about DAC that they have about power amps, it should be great.
Bruno knows his digital as few do - though I'm not really sure to what extent he's involved in the development of the DLCP. With Mola-Mola, Grimm and OEM customers, I'm sure he's got his hands full at the moment.
Still, the Grimm products, for instance, are top notch.
I don't expect the DLCP to reach that level of performance of course (nor the price tag).
Old 28th September 2012, 11:40 AM   #154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
Bruno knows his digital as few do - though I'm not really sure to what extent he's involved in the development of the DLCP. With Mola-Mola, Grimm and OEM customers, I'm sure he's got his hands full at the moment.
Still, the Grimm products, for instance, are top notch.
I don't expect the DLCP to reach that level of performance of course (nor the price tag).
The board wasn't designed by Bruno but he did guide the design process quite firmly and contributed some key circuits like the clock and the output circuit. The philosophy behind the DLCP converters is to get solid performance and a neutral sound without going overboard in terms of fancy parts or esoteric circuits.
Old 28th September 2012, 11:55 AM   #155
Julf is online now Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Willem Hypex View Post
The philosophy behind the DLCP converters is to get solid performance and a neutral sound without going overboard in terms of fancy parts or esoteric circuits.
So if you want to go overboard, you have to go off-board?
Old 24th October 2012, 06:04 PM   #156
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

any news or schedule?
Old 24th October 2012, 06:18 PM   #157
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
any news or schedule?
Before Xmas........
Old 24th October 2012, 08:44 PM   #158