Hypex DSP module(s)

How good are the onboard DAC's?

In a position where I can add a few ESS (Curryman) Dacs to my minidsp set up, and wondering if the Hypex DLCP route, way give better results?

I think the keyword is good enough =)

But the most important thing is that Hypex knows how to design analogue stuff so the implementation is probably awesome.

And another thing that would be nice but sadly probably only to a few: Have a signal sensing pin, and choose / let us configure a time of say 15 minutes such that after that time the pin toggles on or off. The idea would be to switch off the amps and amp power supplies if there is no sound being played. Would be even more nice if you made it compatible with the on/off toggle on your slow start modules ;)

With help from Tytte71 my DLCP is now back in business. We changed the powersupply to a SMPS600 as a temporary solution.
attachment.php

However, when we turned it on I still had the on/off issue. When the chassis had been deassembled, I had tightened the screws on the control board. Tytte71 suspected then the cause was the standby button being too close to the panel of the chassis and thus going on and off. We loosened the control board and added some washers in order for it to stand out a bit more. Since then, everything has been working flawslessly and I have played for several hours.

Since two things were changed, we can't now for sure. But most likely the cause wasn't the PSU voltage but the control board sticking too close to the box. If I remember correctly Modushop did the drawings based on the Hypex 3D drawings. So this is something people should be aware of.

Most important thing is that it's now playing fine and sound quality is as before stellar. I have however had some issues were a new filer doesn't always upload to the DLCP and once the sound disappeared after trying to upload filters several times. Had to turn off the DLCP completely in order to get the sound back. If this continues, I'll contact Hypex. That's something I can't live with. Anyone else that experience simliar?

Here's a shot of the setup I'm using the DLCP in now. Very addictive sounding and hard to get away when I sit down. :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• SMPS600 som PSU 001 (Large).JPG
    SMPS600 som PSU 001 (Large).JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 1,013
  • DLCP setup 001 (Large).JPG
    DLCP setup 001 (Large).JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 973
"If I remember correctly Modushop did the drawings based on the Hypex 3D drawings. So this is something people should be aware of."

No, it is my drawing based on the hypex 2d files. And yes you need a washer between the pcb and frontpanel. This to give space for some protective window in front of the LCD.

"I have however had some issues were a new filer doesn't always upload to the DLCP and once the sound disappeared after trying to upload filters several times. Had to turn off the DLCP completely in order to get the sound back."

This is a known issue, Hypex is looking in to that. Another niggle is the DLCP loosing it's setting for the Hypex remote. Sometimes it resets itself to one for all.

If you had to pair the DLCP to Hypex amp's for all 6 channels, which would you choose?

I would use UcD in the bass, probably 400s and on the mid/high I would use the low wattage current source NCores Bruno uses in the Grimm LS1.

Only problem is that they are not buyable... yet. I still dream of Hypex releasing say a UcD36MP-board but with current source NCores instead. That would be an insta-buy product for me at least, especially if I get 2-6 ~ 30W channels for ~ 100 - 300 Euro.

Now that the DLCP is released it's not hard to use a current source amp anymore as you can fix it all with DSP.

Last edited:
I've found the DLCP to be more sensitive to what surrounds it than a lot of other boxed gear. EG, for the life of me I cannot get H or U pads to work between the dacs and the amps. Lots of noise (of the grrrrr variety). Double, and triple checked the resistor values (vs the impedance values which they don't put in the spec sheets)...Using radian 951Be's so very high sensitivity and more max spl than I need. If you use passive XO parts (cap for tweeters, L-pad) they need to be at the driver end of the wire.

I'll admit I'm fairly new to putting these things together, have wired up tons of stuff (studio), built computers etc.

I'm having better luck with a separate SMPS400a180 for the DLCP than the UCD180hg/hxr's. Still sometimes my DLCP stops seeing SPDIF (the only input connected), but granted it's on probably almost 70hrs a week. Green LED always fully lit. Hypex was quick to give me a "always on" firmware, but my issue is the auto-select moves off spdif, and the spdif only selection wigs out and puts all inputs red (on the software). A quick reboot fixes that though.

I like the DSP interface with the 3.0 beta and ASIO measurement/prediction, a download current XO to file would be appreciated.

All said though in spite of me being a bit of newbee to putting something like this together and having a larger learning curve than expected the sound is very very good. Coming from Avid HDIO/omni dacs and switched resistor network before this.

Last edited: