Hypex DSP module(s)

I think one big difference between the minDSP and the Hypex is that the miniDSP kits (expet the openDRC) operate on fixed point arithmetic for its biquad calculations.
Rounding errors consequences will be different between the two...

I am awaiting for the miniDSP minisharc (based on openDRC hardware) with all the filtering done in one FIR convolution (direct convolution!).

Yes.......

Why should you use Hires 24bit 96khz with a computer connected to your system by USB???? All the advantages will be gone because of all the noise your computer transmits in your system...........:wchair: In Holland we call it putting the horse behind the carriage:D

Why should USB be inherently more noisy than any other protocol, isn't it just dependant on how the connection is realized on the receiver side?

It's not like SPDIF cannot transmit noise into the system if you direct couple everything.

I think one big difference between the minDSP and the Hypex is that the miniDSP kits (except the OpenDRC) operate on fixed point arithmetic for its biquad calculations. Rounding errors consequences will be different between the two...

I am awaiting for the miniDSP minisharc (based on openDRC hardware) with all the filtering done in one FIR convolution (direct convolution!).
Both the TAS in the DLCP and the SigmaDSPs in miniDSPs are fixed point. The difference is the SigmaDSPs are 28 bit coefficients, feedback, and data path with 28 or 56 bit MAC whereas the TAS3108 is 28 bit coefficients, 48 bit data path (and presumably feedback), and 76 bit MAC. SHARCs are 32 bit floating point with 40 bit math or 32 bit fixed point with 80 bit MAC---I believe with either it's 32 bit coefficients and 32 bit feedback. miniDSP's miniSHARC blurb refers to floating point but doesn't actually say if they'll use floating or fixed point. From a numerical precision standpoint fixed is preferable due to the deeper MAC but I'm not familiar enough with the SHARCs to speak to the implementation tradeoffs.

FIRs are not usually particularly numerically sensitive so you may not care about this. IIRs are computationally quite a bit more efficient, albeit at the expense of being numerically fussy when realized as biquads centered at low normalized frequency---as a first order approximation, numerical error is inversely proportional to the center frequency. When outputting 24 bit data 32 bit coefficients and feedback with 64 bit MAC with typical fixed point scaling tend to result in more than half a bit of noise coming into the 24 bit samples at normalized frequencies around 0.02---call it 900Hz for redbook, 1.9kHz at the DLCP's resampling frequency. As higher end audio DACs are in the 19 to 23 bit range this is nominally OK but somewhere around a normalized frequency of 0.002 maintaining precision requires more coefficient and feedback bits.

So, for subwoofers, room correction, midbass crossover and EQ, and similar things all of these platforms are numerically a little sketchy for biquads. Loosely speaking, the order from worst to best is SHARC floating point, SigmaDSP, SHARC fixed point, TAS3108. I'm not aware of any blind test results as to how audible the numerical noise floors are---plus it'll depend on what else is in the signal path (DAC, amps, speakers, room, listener's ears)---but my experience with other numerical issues in audio processing leads me to consider 32 bit coefficients and feedback with 64 bit MAC the min bar for general purpose IIR. 48 bit coefficients and feedback with 64+ bit MAC is probably good enough for just about anything currently in audio, though I haven't looked at it too closely as it's computationally more efficient to implement 64 bit coefficients and feedback with 96 bit MAC on the platforms I'm targeting. So something along the lines of the TAS3108 is needed for the biquad numerics in a DSP implementation to be good enough that performance limits on the DAC (if one's going to shave bits the coefficients are the place to do it).

In comparison FIR is, well, inelegant. Bruno's pointed out---and I happen agree---that if one's after good sound quality most FIR synthesis isn't really in the right direction. That'll improve over time but, at the moment, I would say the approach used on the DLCP is fairly difficult to beat and the miniSHARC isn't really competitive on quality. Price, maybe, but that hasn't been announced yet.

Last edited:
Well, that's the whole point of galvanic isolation. You isolate the PC supply from the dsp or dac or whatever you want to protect from noise and groundloops.

And you have to intergrate it on the pcb, means more space> more costs.

I think Hypex made a valid decision not to implement a state of the art USB audio streaming option. A lot of people are moaning about the price already!

BTW, with a Minidsp product you have to buy a seperate USB streaming board!

:hohoho: