Hypex DSP module(s)

I think it's an interesting and entirely valid one---it's more than a 2x cost riser from USD 300 to euro 550 at the moment, and that's not including Hypex's add on boards. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any hardware breakdown for the 2x4 or 2x8 similar to what you've posted for the DLCP (though it has been a few months since I last searched DIYA for this info). The ADAU1701 in the 2x4 is not as capable as the DLCP and there are some good quality measurements of the 2x4 over in the miniDSP forum that show miniDSP did a good job of getting what they could out of the ADAU1701. So I'm inclined to see this as mainly a DLCP versus 2x8 kind of thing. Unfortunately I don't own a 2x8 or have any plans to buy one so I'm afraid I can't be much help in sorting this one out. But if anyone who has a 2x8 is inclined to share measurements or take a look at the board that would be cool.

If Minidsp would publish some measurements done with an AP, nobody will buy their products...... I even think they do not own an AP:D

:hohoho:

like AP is the only high end measurement gear.... its very very good, you could almost say reference, but there are a few others that equal it. some of the agilent and prism Dscope gear that do just as well, AP just happens to be better known

Last edited:
anyone knows if it´s better or worst than minidsp ?

what i meant is that minidsp got me disappointed as i said before and i´m very reluctant to spend twice the money minidsp costed and get disappointed again , so i´m seeking advice on someone with experience with the board before i head jump to this.i dont want to have to boards to sell later :eek:

Last edited:
thanks Omholt , if the difference is minor then no point in buying the hypex board , i´ll still play for a while with the minidsp before selling it but i doubt i will change my opinion.
What are you looking for and what exactly are you dissapointed with the miniDSP?

When sources come to a certain point of quality, the differences become very very small IMO.

If you apply dither you can shave of more than 8 bits with digital volumecontrol!

Ok a part list:

Dac: AK4396
Dac intergrator: NE5532
Balanced output buffers: OPA1632
DSP: TAS3108
USB audio: PCM2704C
ADC: PCM4202
SRC: SRC4382

what's with the 48KHz 16 bit USB interface ? It's so yesterdays technology.

These days one expects at least 96KHz/24 bit on a USB audio interface !!