Hypex DSP module(s)

I'm very interested in seeing a DSP solution which can be used as a 4-Chnl crossover, to which I can plug either a 4-Chnl class-D amp, or mix-and-match mono class-D amps. I've been searching the internet for the past seven days or so, but most of the things I've seen fall short of what I'm trying to do--it seems I'll be clumping together a 4-Chnl crossover (albeit one which has two RCA inputs, one of which will be unused as it will be installed individually for each active speaker), and two separate class-D amps (given the greater power requirements for mid-bass and low-mid drivers).

In short, I would like the modules to build my own 'AS2.100'--but in a 4-Chnl configuration (an 'AS4.100/400'?).

For the time being, I'll have to do the mix-and-match.

The 6 channel dsp will be mix and match. We will build an input board with in and outputs, but the user could make its own boards as well. The same for the outputs, we will make it compatible with our UcDxxxST and UcDxxxHG modules but an additional board could be added by the user to use other amps.
By this 4 channels is no problem and inputs should be made by yourself.

Jan-Peter, will the GUI be compatible with the readings from RoomEQ Wizard, or any other similar application?

We will use the same software as for our AS2.100 and the PSC2.400. But we will keep improving the programs.
One can download the program from our webshop and give it a try. We do have to note that the measurement import function requires some extra work.
Download Filtersoftware version 2.0

Matthijs, can you tell more details about the multichannel volume control method?

Are the analog outputs muted on startup/shutdown (ie. pop free)?

What supply voltage is needed?

Hi fb,

I'm Jan-Willem and i'm working on the 6 channel DSP board.
The gain of the analogue inputs is controlled before this signal reaches the ADC, therefore the ADC keeps working in it's best region.

The volume control is done inside the DSP. The volume of each input and the volume per channel can be controlled by the user. This will basically be the same as for the AS2.100 and the PSC2.400.
You will be able to control the gain of each output under filter settings in Hypex Filter Design (HFD). You got a master gain for the complete board, and there will be a gain adjust function for the inputs, so they can be matched. This is already implemented in Hypex Filter Design V2.0 for the AS2.100.

The amplifier_enable pin is used to control the UCD modules, at startup.

The supply voltage of the DSP board will be around 16-22 volt DC.

What about the DAC? Won't there be loss of resolution here?

Single +? Or +/-?

Thanks

The master gain, is controlled inside the DSP, and off course the DAC's and ADC performance is the best at 0dBFS.

Excuse me, its +/- 16-22 volt DC.

Attachments

• schematic.JPG
    schematic.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,809
Hi Jan,

I am really looking forward to these DSP modules, it will remove the need for a PC based crossover. Although it works the WAF is not high enough as it is the centerpiece in my livingroom setup. So when will actual production start? And my followup question is, when can I buy these in your webshop?

Thanks!

I've been wanting something with a bit higher parts spec than MiniDSP's offerings and linear phase support. Assuming IIR+FIR includes phase correcting FIR the preliminaries look promising---S/PDIF and USB audio in and three way balanced out cover my needs. Gave the designer a whirl to see if I could mock up my current linear phase, three way LR6 crossover and EQ but, unlike SigmaStudio or DSPreLab, Filter Designer 2.0 doesn't seem to be able to render the transfer functions without hardware attached.

Hello chaps.

I am currently speccing a three-way active crossover and stumbled across this thread.

Until now I have been looking at using two minidsp units to create two three way and subwoofer (effectively four-way) crossovers. I would also be interested in a higher quality unit than the minidsp, so your product looks very interesting to me.

One thing I would like to ask though: Will your unit be able to process four channels, if for instance you bought a six channel unit and added a 2 channel daughter board? (the extra two channels for the stereo sub-woofers).

Also, one thing that has become clear, is the difficulty of volume control and gain management. I had originally intended to use my Denon AVC-A10SE AVR pre amp outputs to the minidsp modules, and the outputs of these to a power amp for each driver. From reading other people's experience, it seems that this is less desirable than utilising the full (bandwidth? head-room? I'm not sure of the terminology) of the ADC and DSP and having a pre-amp and volume control after the DSP. This leaves my AVR redundant and surround sound next to useless. Can you comment on how I could use your product in this way, or indeed if I would be better to create a stereo system with pre-amp after the DSP and forget the surround receiver I have.

Also, and I'm sure it is a sensetive subject of course, do you have a projected price for this unit? A rough estimate would be gratefully received. I want to know how it will compare to two minidsp units in terms of price.

Thank you for your attention,

Jai

Last edited:
sorry to bother you (again), but I would like to know if you're planning an I2S input on the standalone DSP module. i would either like to know if there's a way in which you can use a "2.1 configuration" out of that (stereo 2-way plus a mono woofer).

and the praxis question, when is it coming on sale? (sorry, but i had to ask)

thank you for your attention,
Sérgio

I've been wanting something with a bit higher parts spec than MiniDSP's offerings and linear phase support. Assuming IIR+FIR includes phase correcting FIR the preliminaries look promising---S/PDIF and USB audio in and three way balanced out cover my needs. Gave the designer a whirl to see if I could mock up my current linear phase, three way LR6 crossover and EQ but, unlike SigmaStudio or DSPreLab, Filter Designer 2.0 doesn't seem to be able to render the transfer functions without hardware attached.

It's good to hear that!
I think you haven't seen the option under:
file-new- (products)

Select AS2 for example, and you can make some filters.

Hello chaps.

I am currently speccing a three-way active crossover and stumbled across this thread.

Until now I have been looking at using two minidsp units to create two three way and subwoofer (effectively four-way) crossovers. I would also be interested in a higher quality unit than the minidsp, so your product looks very interesting to me.

One thing I would like to ask though: Will your unit be able to process four channels, if for instance you bought a six channel unit and added a 2 channel daughter board? (the extra two channels for the stereo sub-woofers).

Also, one thing that has become clear, is the difficulty of volume control and gain management. I had originally intended to use my Denon AVC-A10SE AVR pre amp outputs to the minidsp modules, and the outputs of these to a power amp for each driver. From reading other people's experience, it seems that this is less desirable than utilising the full (bandwidth? head-room? I'm not sure of the terminology) of the ADC and DSP and having a pre-amp and volume control after the DSP. This leaves my AVR redundant and surround sound next to useless. Can you comment on how I could use your product in this way, or indeed if I would be better to create a stereo system with pre-amp after the DSP and forget the surround receiver I have.

Also, and I'm sure it is a sensetive subject of course, do you have a projected price for this unit? A rough estimate would be gratefully received. I want to know how it will compare to two minidsp units in terms of price.

Thank you for your attention,

Jai

What do you mean with a 2 channel daughter board? We only have a six channel dsp board, each channel can be filtered separately by the DSP. And each channel is free to use. So you can make many configurations like: 6way speaker, stereo 3way, stereo 2way with two subwoofers, or stereo 2 way (only use 4 channels).
It's also possible to connect two modules together.

The volume control in this module is done inside the DSP, so that the ADC is always working in its best region. You can use this module as a pre-amplifier because of its many inputs with an optional inputboard, and remote control board function. I will place a new manual to make things clear.
I don’t know the price yet, but you can’t compare this with a minidsp unit (specifications, features etc.)

sorry to bother you (again), but I would like to know if you're planning an I2S input on the standalone DSP module. i would either like to know if there's a way in which you can use a "2.1 configuration" out of that (stereo 2-way plus a mono woofer).

and the praxis question, when is it coming on sale? (sorry, but i had to ask)

thank you for your attention,
Sérgio

It’s possible to make a 2.1 configuration, you will only need five channels (out of six).

For example:
Channel 1: tweeter left
Channel 2: woofer left
Channel 3: tweeter right
Channel 4: woofer right
Channel5: subwoofer
Channel6: none

I’m sorry, but we won’t place a I2S input on the DSP module. We’ve started a sample batch, so that when problems occur, we can change the platform. I cannot say when we can sale this products.