Hypex DSP module(s)

Hypex DLCP

Hi all, I'm new to the DIY-audio scene. From what I've read the DIY-audio community is very interesting and fascinating for me but some things are absolutely not clear for a newcomer like me.

I'm looking for a perfect DIY-solution to get 5.1 channel sound by USB from my Windows 7 PC to my Hypex UcD modules in the highest possible quality. (So Windows 7 PC digital signal -> USB 6 channel decoder(I2S>DAC or DSP/DLCP) -> 5x UcD amp's(>speakers)+1x sub connected by RCA output)

From what I've read the exaU2I + the TPA Buffallo III is the only solution to get this done.
But I want to use the Windows Volume Mixer for easy usage, so that I can play all Internet streaming content, blu-ray, foobar, xbmc etc. in a easy way.
This is not possible in a proper way with the exaU2I because it only has ASIO drivers.

And besides that; the Hypex DLCP seems to be a far more interesting option, because the Hypex DLCP looks like a much better integrated solution.

So I'm wondering, does the Hypex DLCP offer what I am looking for? Or am I thinking completely wrong?
Can the DLCP play 5.1 audio from my computer, and send this information to the 5x Hypex UcD's(+1 RCA for sub)?
Are the Hypex DLCP-drivers developed for this kind of usage? Are the drivers WDM so that the Windows Volume Control is available?

How is the sound quality compared to "exaU2I + the TPA Buffallo III"?
Does the DLCP work "Asynchronous"?

Can the Hypex DLCP be powered by the Hypex SMPS400 together with 2 180 UcD's on the same SMPS?

On hypex.nl I read 2 confusing things: "96kHz sampling rate" & "Input sample rates up to 192kHz". Does this mean that the DLCP can't send 192khz blu-ray signal in full audio resolution to the UcD's? Or are these specifications outdated?

Any input is welcome! Sorry for my simple minded questions, I've already done a lot of research but I can't get these questions solved without asking. I really appreciate every input.

If i read correctly there has been lots of progress on the DLCP recently, is there a list of the current specs on the board?

But more specifically I wonder about what chip is used for USB input, does it have linux compatible drivers? Clarification: I only mean audio input here, I don't mind having to use windows when configuring.

And how many biquads per channel will be available to play with?

Last edited:
Will there be an audible difference between the analogue and the digital volume control? What's recommended to use?
The volume is controlled inside the DSP, so digital.

Great that you are working on the V2, but any more news about when it will be ready?
Not yet, I can't give a release date... I'm sorry

I'm looking for a perfect DIY-solution to get 5.1 channel sound by USB from my Windows 7 PC to my Hypex UcD modules in the highest possible quality. (So Windows 7 PC digital signal -> USB 6 channel decoder(I2S>DAC or DSP/DLCP) -> 5x UcD amp's(>speakers)+1x sub connected by RCA output)

From what I've read the exaU2I + the TPA Buffallo III is the only solution to get this done.
But I want to use the Windows Volume Mixer for easy usage, so that I can play all Internet streaming content, blu-ray, foobar, xbmc etc. in a easy way.
This is not possible in a proper way with the exaU2I because it only has ASIO drivers.

And besides that; the Hypex DLCP seems to be a far more interesting option, because the Hypex DLCP looks like a much better integrated solution.

So I'm wondering, does the Hypex DLCP offer what I am looking for? Or am I thinking completely wrong?
Can the DLCP play 5.1 audio from my computer, and send this information to the 5x Hypex UcD's(+1 RCA for sub)?
Are the Hypex DLCP-drivers developed for this kind of usage? Are the drivers WDM so that the Windows Volume Control is available?

How is the sound quality compared to "exaU2I + the TPA Buffallo III"?
Does the DLCP work "Asynchronous"?

Can the Hypex DLCP be powered by the Hypex SMPS400 together with 2 180 UcD's on the same SMPS?

On hypex.nl I read 2 confusing things: "96kHz sampling rate" & "Input sample rates up to 192kHz". Does this mean that the DLCP can't send 192khz blu-ray signal in full audio resolution to the UcD's? Or are these specifications outdated?

Any input is welcome! Sorry for my simple minded questions, I've already done a lot of research but I can't get these questions solved without asking. I really appreciate every input.

It's not possible to get 5.1 usb audio into the DLCP. We use the PCM2704 usb audio dac...
Yes, the DLCP can be powered by a SMPS400. It doesn't matter if there are UcD's connected or not.
The DLCP works on a 96kHz samplingrate, but is able to receive digital inputs with higher or lower samplingrates. (samplerate converter)

If i read correctly there has been lots of progress on the DLCP recently, is there a list of the current specs on the board?

But more specifically I wonder about what chip is used for USB input, does it have linux compatible drivers? Clarification: I only mean audio input here, I don't mind having to use windows when configuring.

And how many biquads per channel will be available to play with?

We don't have an updated datasheet yet.
As said above, we do use the PCM2704 for USB audio. I don't know if it works with linux..
There will be about 15BQ's per channel.

Apart from spec sheet I thought of another thing:

Will the board have unbalanced analogue output on some/all channels? If not, will there be an optional extension board that can convert balanced output to unbalanced?
Like Julf said, just use a cable to convert the balanced output to an unbalanced input.

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/wiring.pdf

We don't have an updated datasheet yet.
As said above, we do use the PCM2704 for USB audio. I don't know if it works with linux..
There will be about 15BQ's per channel.

Ah, but that chip if I understand correctly only has 16 bits of resolution so USB input wouldn't work well anyway in my case... I guess it's back to SPDIF. Any chance of you upgrading the USB input to a modern 24 bit chip making USB input as good as the SPDIF ones?

And next: Are you still using the AK4395 for the DACs?

Like Julf said, just use a cable to convert the balanced output to an unbalanced input.

http://www.hypex.nl/docs/wiring.pdf

Yes, I realize you can drive a balanced input with unbalanced source but can you do the reverse as easy with the DLCP?

I wish to drive an unbalanced amplifier with the DLCP. If I've understood correctly some sources have a problem with just connecting Pin2 to hot and Pin3 to cold and instead need another active circuit or a transformer.

But if I understand correctly the DLCP then is built in such a way that it is possible to just wire the cable?

Sorry for double confirmation but I wish to make sure I understand perfectly =)

Last edited:
I've thought of yet another question, only partially have to do with the DLCP but it's of how I would like to use it so will post here:

If I've understood correctly the DLCP would not be able to correct the phase errors by the IIR crossover filters? Secondly, will the digital filtering part be superior on the DLCP from the psc2.400? Or can I use the DLCP on top 3-way and use loop through to connect a psc2.400 on the subwoofer and not compromise anything?

And now the main question: If I want to have FIR phase correction, would it be a problem to cascade all three inverse all-passes and run them before the DLCP? Or is the FIR supposed to run after the IIR filters or separate for each channel?

In my case I wish to minimize complexity, and most complexity would be to route multiple channels with multiple digital outputs from my computer which is why I lean towards the DLCP or a similar solution. But to use the standard stereo SPDIF output but just add a FIR before wouldn't be nearly as complex so of course I wonder if that would be a solution =)

Last edited:
DSP without digital out?

<i t should have a digital out > I'm sorry but I don't think we will go for this option, at least not for now >

Sorry, but for me a DSP without digital out is useless. Anyone using class D amps with digital inputs, eg. Panasonic SA-XR receivers or NAD M 2, needs a DSP with a digital out, eg. Behringer DEQ2496 or DEQX. An updated DEQ with digital volume control would be ideal. If it would be less finicky and more consumer friendly, all the better because people like to play with their DSPs and then don't know how to return to the installer's settings when the thing starts misbehaving or goes mute.

Ah, but that chip if I understand correctly only has 16 bits of resolution so USB input wouldn't work well anyway in my case... I guess it's back to SPDIF. Any chance of you upgrading the USB input to a modern 24 bit chip making USB input as good as the SPDIF ones?

And next: Are you still using the AK4395 for the DACs?

We won't update the USB audio chip.
We're using the AK4396, because the AK4395 has a end of life status.

Yes, I realize you can drive a balanced input with unbalanced source but can you do the reverse as easy with the DLCP?

I wish to drive an unbalanced amplifier with the DLCP. If I've understood correctly some sources have a problem with just connecting Pin2 to hot and Pin3 to cold and instead need another active circuit or a transformer.

But if I understand correctly the DLCP then is built in such a way that it is possible to just wire the cable?

Sorry for double confirmation but I wish to make sure I understand perfectly =)
Yes ;)

I've thought of yet another question, only partially have to do with the DLCP but it's of how I would like to use it so will post here:

If I've understood correctly the DLCP would not be able to correct the phase errors by the IIR crossover filters? Secondly, will the digital filtering part be superior on the DLCP from the psc2.400? Or can I use the DLCP on top 3-way and use loop through to connect a psc2.400 on the subwoofer and not compromise anything?

And now the main question: If I want to have FIR phase correction, would it be a problem to cascade all three inverse all-passes and run them before the DLCP? Or is the FIR supposed to run after the IIR filters or separate for each channel?

In my case I wish to minimize complexity, and most complexity would be to route multiple channels with multiple digital outputs from my computer which is why I lean towards the DLCP or a similar solution. But to use the standard stereo SPDIF output but just add a FIR before wouldn't be nearly as complex so of course I wonder if that would be a solution =)

No the DLCP hasn't got FIR filtering, this is planned for the future. Bruno has implemented this for another product, but it's a bit hard to get this function user configurable. If you want to have FIR filtering, you could do it like you said, that's exactly the right way. (before the DLCP)
The DLCP has much better performance specs compared to the PSC2.400, you could use another DLCP for the sub... but maybe that's a bit overkill?

Are we can getting closer Jan Willem? Any news?
There are many projects going on, I'm not working on it right now.. but I do have an updated hardware version completely soldered on my desk.. :(

<i t should have a digital out > I'm sorry but I don't think we will go for this option, at least not for now >

Sorry, but for me a DSP without digital out is useless. Anyone using class D amps with digital inputs, eg. Panasonic SA-XR receivers or NAD M 2, needs a DSP with a digital out, eg. Behringer DEQ2496 or DEQX. An updated DEQ with digital volume control would be ideal. If it would be less finicky and more consumer friendly, all the better because people like to play with their DSPs and then don't know how to return to the installer's settings when the thing starts misbehaving or goes mute.

I'm sorry..

The DLCP has much better performance specs compared to the PSC2.400, you could use another DLCP for the sub... but maybe that's a bit overkill?

That's my initial thought also, it's a sub so sound quality shoulnd't be that important as long as it isn't bad. The PSC2.400 would have a nice format with built in amps also =)

If I've understood correctly the difference between that and the DLCP is that the DLCP has 3 more biquads per channel, or is there a bigger difference in the digital domain between them?

There are many projects going on, I'm not working on it right now.. but I do have an updated hardware version completely soldered on my desk.. :(

So I guess it won't be released next week... but is it possible to get a time window prognosis for the release? Are we a few months away or is it more than a year left?

It's been in developement for over two years and if it's going to take years more then however good it's not really an option for me since I'm building my speaker now :sad: