Hypex DSP module(s)

In Germany is now the Lucius 6K-V-2U very popular. Have then both devices compared in detail and decided in the end because the sound qualities of the Hypex DLCP. The only good thing on Lucius 6K-V-2U was that he offers more digital inputs. But in the end decides on a DSP for me is always the sound quality. The software of Sitronik is somewhat easier, but offers fewer features.

I'm not getting any sound from mine. It was installed by windows, and it connects automatically. I've tried both AES/EBU, Toslink, SPDIF, USB and analogue inputs without any sound. I've set the right input in the control panel accordingly as well as in J.River Media Center.

I haven't built mine myself but the one who did got it to work flawlessly before he sent it to me.

Can you guys see anything wrong with the connections or jumpers? There are lights both in the board, the PSU and the front display. Tried all outputs too. When I turn it on while I have the power amp on, I also get a pop in the speakers.

Attachments

• DLPC problems 002 (Medium).JPG
    DLPC problems 002 (Medium).JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 472
  • DLPC problems 003 (Medium).JPG
    DLPC problems 003 (Medium).JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 459
  • DLPC problems 005 (Medium).JPG
    DLPC problems 005 (Medium).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 450
  • DLPC problems 006 (Medium).JPG
    DLPC problems 006 (Medium).JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 450
  • DLPC problems 007 (Medium).JPG
    DLPC problems 007 (Medium).JPG
    105 KB · Views: 412
  • DLPC problems 008 (Medium).JPG
    DLPC problems 008 (Medium).JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DLPC problems 009 (Medium).JPG
    DLPC problems 009 (Medium).JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 132
  • DLPC problems 010 (Medium).JPG
    DLPC problems 010 (Medium).JPG
    128 KB · Views: 151
Did you upload a filtersetting into the DLCP with Filterdesigner? No file=No sound!
No I didn't. Trying it on pasive speakers. Talked on the phone yesterday to my builder, and he said he had sound right away without doing anything with the filter.

But yes, you were right! I simply needed to press the download button and then "Load to DSP". Voila, sound :)
attachment.php

A little surprised that I have to turn the volume up so high. Around -25 seems to be what I end up with in order to play at an average level on modern compressed records. It's not really loud before I turn it up to -15. I'm using AES/EBU from a Lynx AES soundcard, Ncore amps and speakers with a sensitvity of 95 dB. The gain settings seems only to be related to analogue inputs, right?.
I still have quite a bit volume left (it goes to +18), but I'm wondering if this could be a problem with less sensitive speakers and using something else then AES/EBU.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
A little surprised that I have to turn the volume up so high. Around -25 seems to be what I end up with in order to play at an average level on modern compressed records. It's not really loud before I turn it up to -15.

<snip>

I still have quite a bit volume left (it goes to +18), but I'm wondering if this could be a problem with less sensitive speakers and using something else then AES/EBU.

With a digital system you want to optimise your overall gain structure so that you're using it at these sorts of levels - ie. you're not throwing too many bits away

However, the interesting observation is that we don't often talk about 'optimising the gain structure' of an analogue system, we simply turn the volume down :)
...I suppose there are arguments about the ear's ability to detect coherent signals down at the level of the noise floor. Dither, anyone?

I have done some comparison between miniDSP 4x10Hd and the DLCP today, but I've been running the miniDSP mostly unbalanced so far. The reason is because I'm getting a hiss in the speakers when using balanced. The gain control is set to the lowest (4Vrms). There's less hiss when connecting my Abletec ALC1000 modules, but still some and these don't sound as good as the Ncores. I can hear the hiss from the tweeters in sweetspot at a low level.

Could it be that my connection to the Phoenix connectors aren't good enough? The ground wire is quite thick as can be seen and perhaps too much is exposed? I hate those Phoenix connectors.....

Want to make sure the grounds are more even before I share my expressions. However, I will say so much that the DLCP is impressive.

Attachments

• Phoenix 001 (Large).JPG
    Phoenix 001 (Large).JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 478
  • Phoenix 002 (Large).JPG
    Phoenix 002 (Large).JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 468
I have done some comparison between miniDSP 4x10Hd and the DLCP today, but I've been running the miniDSP mostly unbalanced so far. The reason is because I'm getting a hiss in the speakers when using balanced. The gain control is set to the lowest (4Vrms). There's less hiss when connecting my Abletec ALC1000 modules, but still some and these don't sound as good as the Ncores. I can hear the hiss from the tweeters in sweetspot at a low level.

Could it be that my connection to the Phoenix connectors aren't good enough? The ground wire is quite thick as can be seen and perhaps too much is exposed? I hate those Phoenix connectors.....

Want to make sure the grounds are more even before I share my expressions. However, I will say so much that the DLCP is impressive.

News?

Here is the final judgement! :D
No seriously, you're much better off testing this for yourself. Even since I came back from Gran Canary, I've been battling a cold. I haven't level matched properly either. I did run a 500 Hz sine after a while and set the volume within about 1 dB, but that's not proper level matching as you know. And by the way, if anyone here could build me a switch box where it's possible to level match better then 0,1 dB, I would very interested in buying one and please send me a pm.

However, I can still share the experiences I had when I compared it to miniDSP 4x10 Hd a few days ago. Bare in mind that this was only done with a pair of Abbey speakers (passive). Meaning there's hardly any level below 80 Hz. I have good control over specular reflections and frequency response is pretty good. Here's the setup which is my home theater room and a bit of mess at the moment:
attachment.php

attachment.php

I did most of the testing running miniDSP unbalanced. Like previously mentioned I have some noise/hiss when using it balanced, but I did compare some running balanced as well. I find it hard to describe the differences this time. It's definetly there but not easy to convey into words. The miniDSP seems to focus more on certain frequencies, either midrange or treble (not sure which). While the DLCP doesn't do this and seem to sound overall more homogenous. I find the DLCP more bloomy and lush in a way and miniDSP leaner. The clarity with minDSP on vocals is perhaps higher because of the more focusing. The DLCP on the other hand plays everything more holistically and nothing sticks out. I find the DLCP sound more "musical" (oh, I hate that word) and I defintely prefer it. With poor recordings I found the DLCP to be more forgiving and smoother. With the miniDSP it seems like at high levels with poor recordings I become listening fatigued earlier.

I don't have the Lynx Two-B at the moment but I have compared it to the miniDSP before. I found then the difference was only in the highs where the Lynx seemed to be more "airy" and a tad more open. Based on memory I feel the difference now to the DLCP is larger. What I don't know is which is the most correct and transparent. My DLCP uses a linear PSU which I don't know much about. Who knows, maybe some of that "bloom" and feeling of warmth could be distortion from it. The miniDSP uses a very cheap swithing mode PSU and it would be interesting to compare them withe exact same powersupply. I may try other PSU's with the DLCP later.

Overall though I've very pleased with the sound quality of my DLCP. I prefer it over miniDSP and feel the difference is definetely worth upgrading. Every time I listened with the miniDSP, I was missing the DLCP. Obviously we aren't talking about major differences considering both are well designed sources, but the small differences and details matter to me in the long run when enjoying music.

I've now moved the DLCP to my hifi setup which is of higher quality. Jan Willem was kind enough to help with adding the CBT36 settings from a manual. However I need also add a second order high pass filter at 30 Hz with a Q of 1,4 or 1,3 to protect the woofers, and I haven't figured out how to do this. The filter settings are almost greek to me. I don't understand the logic in it. Which probably speaks more about me then the DLCP....
attachment.php

Also I big thank you to ds23man who let me copy the drawing for the front. Very kind. Mine is made ready with outputs for another card and 12 channels.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DLCP i to anlegg 002 (Large).JPG
    DLCP i to anlegg 002 (Large).JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 550
  • DLCP i to anlegg 003 (Large).JPG
    DLCP i to anlegg 003 (Large).JPG
    135 KB · Views: 535
  • DLCP i to anlegg 004 (Large).JPG
    DLCP i to anlegg 004 (Large).JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 533
  • DLCP 002 (Large).JPG
    DLCP 002 (Large).JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 564
  • DLCP 003 (Large).JPG
    DLCP 003 (Large).JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 584
Ok. Had a friend telling me today how the filter setting works and I now understand it. So easy when you first see it.....

Two questions.
1. Is there anywhere to add global EQ? miniDSP has the inputs where that can be done.

2. I'm experiencing some drop-outs. The DLCP looses connection and connects again. Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't know if it's simply loosing power or if it's something else. Not fun though when having power amps on and getting quite loud pops in the speakers.

Ok. Had a friend telling me today how the filter setting works and I now understand it. So easy when you first see it.....

Two questions.
1. Is there anywhere to add global EQ? miniDSP has the inputs where that can be done.

2. I'm experiencing some drop-outs. The DLCP looses connection and connects again. Is anyone else experiencing this? I don't know if it's simply loosing power or if it's something else. Not fun though when having power amps on and getting quite loud pops in the speakers.

1. No global eq.

2. Sounds like your power supply is the culprit. When this happens, does only go the green led off or the red ones also?