Hypex DSP module(s)

You would have to use extreme digital attenuation for it to be noticable, and at that stage the volume is so low so you won't notice it anyway =)
Using digital level control before the DAC as a volume gives a degraded sound at low volumes, on my experience. A digitally controlled analog attenuator is a requisite for that purpose.
Digital attenuation works ok to equalize drivers efficiencies +amplifiers gain disparities.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Turning down the volume is equivalent to listen to a pianissimo passage, where the volume will be low anyway - maybe just using 6 out of 16 bits of data on the CD. Now do the sound quality suffer during a pianissimo? I think not.

If the gain structure is all wrong, the sound suffers at any level.

hmm I cant work out if you are agreeing with me or not. maybe just misunderstood my post.

what I mean is; if you have to turn the digital volume down to a point where it is noticeably effecting the sound quality, your gain structure is wrong, because you shouldnt be needing to turn it down that much, if you do have to, you have too much gain.

most digital volume controls will be operating at 32/48/64 bit floating point and depending on the dac, in the 32bit ESS its simply part of the dac, not a chance I will ever turn down the volume till there is 6 bits

Some quick and dirty pictures, will make better ones with daylight tomorrow!

Attachments

• _DSC0121.JPG
    _DSC0121.JPG
    545.8 KB · Views: 437
  • _DSC0125.JPG
    _DSC0125.JPG
    474.8 KB · Views: 423
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Fair enough - but some of us have already have had to modify the feedback gain of our ncores to cope with "pro" line levels, and prefer to use that kind of levels.

You have a DLCP connected directly to your Ncore modules?

The voltage gain of the Ncore is 26db (which seems an excellent nominal gain.)

It seems to me an easier "fix" would be to install a dedicated, fixed attenuator between your DLCP and Ncore(s) such that DLCP minimal attenuation settings are near your nominal listening levels.

Cheers,

Dave.

You have a DLCP connected directly to your Ncore modules?

Not yet - right now I have a Behringer DCX2496 driving the ncores, but aiming to replace it with the DCLP - just got shipping acknowledgement.

The voltage gain of the Ncore is 26db (which seems an excellent nominal gain.)

Not sure what's so excellent about it, as 16 or 36 dB is just as good as 26, as long as the overall gain structure of your system makes sense.

It seems to me an easier "fix" would be to install a dedicated, fixed attenuator between your DLCP and Ncore(s) such that DLCP minimal attenuation settings are near your nominal listening levels.

Easier, yes, but not better. It is never a very good idea to over-amplify and then have to attenuate. Ideally you have just enough amplification in your whole chain to give full output with full-scale input. The nice thing about a digital source is that you know for sure what the highest possible input amplitude will be.