Firewire module receiver for DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2010, 10:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Firewire module receiver for DAC

I am searching a Firewire receiver module to integrate in mine DAC so can convert 24/192 audio files from mine computer.

Thanks for help.
Old 2nd April 2010, 04:57 PM   #2
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think you will find audio is moving away from EE 1394 towards USB2-3 spec except for some proprietary stuff. personally I feel ethernet is a better solution anyway, but development seems to have stalled a bit there, dynaudio air series did a good job of it setting their active monitors up as network nodes.

there are of course some devices for the pro audio market that will convert firewire to low jitter spdif (AES2) at this rate and higher, but probably nothing very DIY friendly unless you are willing to accept the spdif, there would be options that way, many of them; with RME gear being a good starting point
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

actually MAUDIO used to (not sure if its still available) make firewire versions of some of their external interfaces, there are several companies using modified MAUDIO USB interfaces outputting i2s, likely yo0u could do te same thing with their firewire gear and you might be able to find some nice and cheap on the used market
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answer, yes I am looking for in pro-audio but nothing under the sun all are small boxes with dac integrated that I don't need, other history is computer audio & seems more easy to tweak a PCI soundcard with Firewire / USB 2.0, only and big problem is: I don't know how supply & connect them. I see this interesant one with 2 Firewire & 3 USB 2.0

Conceptronic.net

Click the image to open in full size.

Somebody could help me please?
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That is NOT audio fireware, it is just a regular fireware/USB combo card.
Digital audio fireware is, most of the time, proprietary.
Old 2nd April 2010, 08:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

So the only way is to buy a 2nd hand Firewire or USB 2.0 pro-audio & modifie to use only the receiver without the dac, any suggestion? how can do it?
Old 14th April 2010, 04:26 PM   #7
lauret is offline lauret  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If USB is also acceptable for 192kHz playback look at this option: M2Tech hiFace. No DIYing needed.
I would guess that extracting I2S from a pro-audio firewire-card can get complicated.
Old 14th April 2010, 04:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for advice, last thursday I ordered one, I'am waiting to receive it.
Old 15th April 2010, 06:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauret View Post
If USB is also acceptable for 192kHz playback look at this option: M2Tech hiFace. No DIYing needed.
I would guess that extracting I2S from a pro-audio firewire-card can get complicated.
no more complicated than with a USB host. only the reciever is different on the maudio models and that is left untouched
Old 27th April 2010, 12:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauret View Post
Got the hiFace, thanks for advice.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!