Firewire module receiver for DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think you will find audio is moving away from EE 1394 towards USB2-3 spec except for some proprietary stuff. personally I feel ethernet is a better solution anyway, but development seems to have stalled a bit there, dynaudio air series did a good job of it setting their active monitors up as network nodes.

there are of course some devices for the pro audio market that will convert firewire to low jitter spdif (AES2) at this rate and higher, but probably nothing very DIY friendly unless you are willing to accept the spdif, there would be options that way, many of them; with RME gear being a good starting point

actually MAUDIO used to (not sure if its still available) make firewire versions of some of their external interfaces, there are several companies using modified MAUDIO USB interfaces outputting i2s, likely yo0u could do te same thing with their firewire gear and you might be able to find some nice and cheap on the used market

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for the answer, yes I am looking for in pro-audio but nothing under the sun all are small boxes with dac integrated that I don't need, other history is computer audio & seems more easy to tweak a PCI soundcard with Firewire / USB 2.0, only and big problem is: I don't know how supply & connect them. I see this interesant one with 2 Firewire & 3 USB 2.0

Conceptronic.net

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Somebody could help me please?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Please report on your findings!

I downloaded the hiFace drivers, now I am add a LEMO 75 ohms input because till today Buffalo II goes with Opus USB receiver + ASRC Metronome, also I'm doing a new digital cable for interface the hiFace with the Buffalo II so one plug with Lemo & the other with RCA 75 ohms Eichmann copper (I have silver but prefer copper).

After all work I will hear & I will let you know how works.

Last edited:
.... also I'm doing a new digital cable for interface the hiFace with the Buffalo II so one plug with Lemo & the other with RCA 75 ohms Eichmann copper (I have silver but prefer copper).

After all work I will hear & I will let you know how works.

@merlin
I measured Eichmann copper bullets RCA's. They are not 75 Ohm specific impedance, just a little bellow 40 :D One measured 39.8 and the other 39 Ohms specific impedance. They are useless for SPDIF :rolleyes:
Do yourself a favor and use proper 75 Ohm BNC connectors. No RCA is 75 Ohm.

75 Ohm BNC on left and 50 Ohm BNC on right

Attachments

• BNC75-BNC50.jpg
    BNC75-BNC50.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
@lauret

Finally I hear DXD files, DSD files & 24/192 files, you are right to get the full potential of the B II needs to play hi-rez files, but playing red book dosn't do bad only thing is if you are using Foobar 2000 fisrt must be selected 24/96 because if you use 16/44 with dither sounds worse.

@stormsonic

I think that hiFace RCA doesn't have 75 ohms of characteristic impedance, how can you measured the Eichmann?

Just for fun Lemo 75 ohms connectors photo:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
@stormsonic

I think that hiFace RCA doesn't have 75 ohms of characteristic impedance, how can you measured the Eichmann?

Just for fun Lemo 75 ohms connectors photo:

measured them with TDR.
No RCA is 75 Ohm, neither that on your pic. I see that from pic, no need to measure :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.