blown cs4397, next step? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2010, 06:46 PM   #1
kanifee is offline kanifee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default blown cs4397, next step?

Ive just blown my cs4397 chip on my ebay cheap dac i bought and modified, kinda bum'd as i loved the little dac for the money it cost, is it worth replacing the chip or should i look for a new diy dac?
Old 29th March 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If it's from Gigaworks then a new DAC module will cost about $35 (23) including postage. Takes about two weeks. Contact Ian Ma for a price quote.

Interestingly, the same DAC module from snow468 (he sells the black non-USB version) is a lot cheaper usually. Contact him: snow468 (at) gmail.com

This is his DAC kit:

NEW BIG 24bit/192Hz HI-FI DAC DIY KIT,ASSEMBLED MODULE on eBay (end time 25-Mar-10 22:04:42 GMT)

Just buy a new DAC module, unless you want a PCB for spares / experimenting

Rich
Old 29th March 2010, 09:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

this is the fella here, no longer available on ebay though there is one or two chips floating about. how does the other dac square with this?

Last edited by kanifee; 29th March 2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Other DAC is superb value for money. A massive thread devoted to it here:

Experience with this DIY DAC ?

And two more forum thread's:

My new dac
DIY DAC Kits and Easy Mods

This DAC is a giant killer with the right mods such as output transformers. Very highly recommended.

If you have done all those mods to your DAC then it is a shame to waste it though. New CS4397 chips are on ebay. How are your SMD skills?
Old 30th March 2010, 10:08 AM   #5
neskor is offline neskor  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I had same situation, blown CS4397 on my "lampucera".
So I ordered only DAC board, without power supply and power transformer.
It will cost you 50$ with airmail shipping.
Just send email to lawrencechanbig@msn.com
Old 30th March 2010, 04:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok so looks like i may have to buy a new dac to get my moneys worth, i paid 35 for the Dac and psu with tranny around 18 months ago so i dont really want to pay that again for the dac board.

The dac you posted looks impressive with the right mods, ive also seen this one listed on ebay here and was wondering how this one weighed up as its about the same price delivered?
Old 30th March 2010, 06:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanifee View Post

The dac you posted looks impressive with the right mods, ive also seen this one listed on ebay here and was wondering how this one weighed up as its about the same price delivered?
Its hard to say. At the price it might be worth trying though. A very nice project and it looks like some excellent components are included. It is probably so cheap due to the fact it is unassembled.

The TDA1543 chip is quite old but from what I've read it seems highly regarded. The smaller brother of the TDA1541 which is bit of a legend! It will possibly have a smoother analogue sound compared to the newer state of the art CS4397 chip you are used to. The TDA1543 is only 16 bit if that matters.

The Gigaworks CS4398 DAC from my experience is excellent. And you will have lots of support in the forum.

You pays your money...

Last edited by RichLund; 30th March 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!