Connecting Mac G4 laptop to Theta DSPro GEN III DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah, my digital front end is REALLY OLD. but i like it and it's paid for ;-)

my theta data II transport died on monday. so, i'm wondering if it's time to go the music server route. i still want to use the theta DAC. i don't think it has an optical input, just spdif coax. what's the best way to connect the laptop to the dac?

i can't remember - do the G4 laptops (circa 2005) - have a digital out? or do i have to get a usb to spdif converter?

if the laptop does have a digital out, then can't i get cable with a headphone size phono termination on one side and an RCA termination on the other for connecting it to the spdif jack on the DAC?

and here's a really absurd question...is there any way to use a wireless blueray player with the digital out connected to the dac on one and and then connect the bluray player to my laptop through my wireless network? this is probably crazy-talk though.

like this one:
Samsung - Blu-Ray Disc Player with 1080p Output - BD-P1600

thanks,
Robby

i'll check the laptop speed tonight.

question - sounds like some people are saying the M2 will still sound better, even if my laptop can do digital out - because it get the signal away from all the crap inside the computer? any sense to this?

lastly, is there any sense in buying the M2 if my DAC is from 1993? i assume the Theta GEN III only does 44.1khz, right?

thanks,
Robby

yeah I know, been using macs since the original 128k and there are 5 of different generations currently in this house, but could not remember the menu flow off the top of my head for classic. plus it was nowhere near as comprehensive as the OSX version

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That last bit is true. Somewhere i still have my 1st 128 (well actually only the shell is original, everything has been replaced at one time or another ... it has a Levco Prodigy in it (16 MHz 020 with 4 MB RAM). 2 Laptops and 3 desktops in regular use plus a G4 tower running 9.2.2 for a webserver (pretty much unhackable :)). the godson has a toilet seat iBook for when he comes over... and bits scattered all over. One of my next tube amps will be housed inside a G5 tower case.

dave

yeah we have G4 sawtooth (server), G4 gigabit ethernet (pretty much parts and backup), G5 dual 2GHz (music server) feeding my buffalo from an RME HDSP9632 with modified breakout cable with AES (XLR) and BNC. plus a 30" IMAC intel duo and a 24"?? IMAC intel.

cant remember what we did with the 128, probably sold it used for 4 grand ;D we also had one of the first generation laserwriters 10K; man apple new how to charge back then. suppose they still do, but you get a little more for you money aside from knowing your computer would turn on in the morning and do what you wanted; guaranteed, well worth it IMO, that and put a smile on your face when it had a smile on its face :)

Thanks Kent,

well, we can pop the top on the DAC this weekend ;-)

still trying to decide which route to go.

buy an M2Tech or musiland usb (can i get it to run on a mac?) to spdif converter plus a $100 terabyte external drive. run it through my Theta DAC. or just buy an Oppo blu-ray player and use it as a transport?

i wonder how the oppo would compare to my theta data II for transport duties?

Robby

Um, USB. That's a form of digital out. It's not perfect, but works. G4's should be fine.

If the DAC chips in the Theta have I2S inputs, then you can use a USB>I2S converter. I use this- The USB DAC/Receiver

-but there are probably other ones around.

Biggest iMac is a 27". It replaced the 24".

I had one of the 1st LW to... with upgrade to plus status it was $14k CAD. Ouch.

dave

ahh, must be the 27 and older 24 then, those arent mine unfortunately. they are my housemate's and his GF. all the others are though and i've got my eye on an intel mac lappie. those LWs plus an early mac really was a publishing revolution back then

to the OP, AFAIK no you cant get the Mtech 2 or certainly the musiland to work on a mac, they still havent got their act together with drivers and I guess with all the people buying intel macs lately they dont have too much motivation. I was sent a musiland to mod and had to boot up the PC partition of one of the aforementioned intel macs to test it worked. the M-Audio transit is a good choice and is easily modded for i2s output as well; at least the older version was, not sure if the new one is

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.