USB-S/PDIF converter and DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2010, 03:28 AM   #1
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default USB-S/PDIF converter and DAC

I designed this to provide a USB input for the ezdac (see thread ezDAC v.1.5 Builders Thread ). It's based pretty closely to the datasheet app circuit.
I wanted selection of USB or S/PDIF input via a DIP relay, which is controlled from another board that does analog input selection.
Because the PCM2704 provides both S/PDIF and analog outputs, I decided to make the board more versatile (and easier to test) by bringing out the analog outputs. I have 300-ohm headphones which require some gain from the DAC output, so I added opamps at the output. I wanted a bit more headroom than the 5V USB supply provides, so there is a -5V supply generated by a switched-capacitor voltage converter.
I spotted a couple of needed changes already. The two opamps should be in the same package (my last re-annotate broke them up); and I'll reduce the values of the resistors at the output of the opamps to maybe 33 ohms or so.
Comments are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usb-spdif-sch1.pdf (13.6 KB, 353 views)
Old 19th February 2010, 06:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Simpler

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I've decided to get rid of the opamps. My thinking is that I'll move them onto a separate companion board that will include a Li-ion battery charger and boost converter, and allow for an MP3 player input or the USB audio.
So, the new schematic is closer to the datasheet's Figure 33. I've beefed up the filtering a bit, and kept the relay to select USB or S/PDIF input. The connector JP2 is for the aforementioned companion board.
I've also added a an output transformer to allow isolation, if needed. For driving the ezdac board, I'll just bypass the transformer because the ezdac has its own input transformer.
I'll be working on the PCB layout for this over the next week or so.
Attached Images
File Type: gif usb-spdif-sch2.gif (41.3 KB, 835 views)

Last edited by paulb; 19th February 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 19th February 2010, 08:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I tried a similar USB/SPDIF circuit when i first built the EzDac and didn't enjoy the sound much. For the last couple of years EzDac has been getting I2S from a 2707 and sounds much better.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
I tried a similar USB/SPDIF circuit when i first built the EzDac and didn't enjoy the sound much. For the last couple of years EzDac has been getting I2S from a 2707 and sounds much better.
Is it galvanically connected to the PC?

If so, have you considered a USB isolator?

USB Isolator. Circuits@Home
Old 20th February 2010, 12:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
The only difference is the S/PDIF output, and I seriously doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. The HagUSB uses the same part:
Hagerman Technology LLC: HagUsb USB to SPDIF Audiophile Converter
and seems to be popular.
For those that are interested in an an I2S input DAC, there are other (probably more suitable) choices. Here's one:
The γ1 Modular Miniature DAC
USB input is available with this kit.
Old 24th February 2010, 07:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here's an initial placement for this PCB. USB and S/PDIF inputs on the left (which will be mounted on the rear panel) along with their LEDs; S/PDIF output at the bottom right, headphone output on the right. The schematic has changed slightly, I now have two connectors JP2 and JP3 that will connect to the companion board I referred to. JP1 is 24VDC relay control input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usb-spdif-assy1.jpg (39.7 KB, 723 views)
Old 24th February 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Why not use mini-USB? Does save much on the footprint, but the cables seem to be more readily available.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutter View Post
Why not use mini-USB? Does save much on the footprint, but the cables seem to be more readily available.
I did consider it, but my current USB DAC uses the standard connector and I didn't see the point in designing something that requires me to buy a new cable.
Old 19th May 2010, 04:12 PM   #9
TICUL38 is offline TICUL38  Canada
diyAudio Member

Paul,
Just curious at this point... are you definitely set on routing the USB into a S-P/DIF conversion?
I am back and forth between several projects, but still planning for USB input to the DAC.
I am also introducing need for a "transparent" HP Amp., so reviewing DAC's output interface with a good OPAmp/volume control scheme driving a discrete transistor amp.
Any suggestions/ guidance re. output amps would be well taken.
Thanks,
Louis
Old 20th May 2010, 01:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Louis,
I'm still working on this. I'm now planning it for a dual purpose: besides just USB to S/PDIF, it will also have a battery-powered headphone output amp, which could be used as a USB DAC headphone amp, or the headphone amp could be used by itself for an MP3 player. I had planned this as a second board but it ended up being much cheaper to put it all on one board. I'll go with more surface mount parts to fit it all onto a 75 x 120 mm board.
Are you asking about ideas for a power amplifier ( I like the P3A at Elliott Sound Products - The Audio Pages (Main Index)), or about a buffer stage after the ezDAC (I don't think it is required)?

Hide this!Advertise here!