spdif digital out - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2010, 08:51 AM   #1
ccschua is offline ccschua  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default spdif digital out

My computer pc has an optical out but no rca spdif out. i saw this on the ebay

ShopHobbies.com

however, the connector is RCA. I would prefer BNC. Just wonder has anyone modded this to BNC and the effects using computer out is it good ? of course the m2tech hiface will cost a bomb.
Old 16th February 2010, 09:43 AM   #2
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

You have to make sure your motherboard has that 3-pin header first, if it already has SPDIF-out on the back panel it likely won't have another header.

And BNC... if the point of using this is for the 75 ohm, the short distance on the connector is nothing compared to the wire leading to the mainboard which isn't 75 ohm anyway.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I wonder if anyone has ever measure the jitter/stability of clock word out of the spdif pin header using a scopemeter. if so, possible to use a belden cable to the SPDIF + GND to the BNC header to make a good 75 ohm.
Old 17th February 2010, 04:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

i actually put in a screen cable and connect up the spdif out. the sound is really below par. I guess the clock has a lot to do with it.

Hide this!Advertise here!