STA-310 Home Theater Surround Sound System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

I'm planning to build a 5.1 decoder to decode the coax output of my DVD player and power a surround system. I'm going to use the STA-310 to do the decoding with a 6-channel DAC and chip amplifier. I was wondering, however, if I should have any issues with audio/video synch. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks a lot!

5.1 decoder home brew

Uh, I don't know anything, keep talking if you make any progress. I'm retired and have a couple of power amp transformers, a bunch of motor drive capacitors, a sack of transistors, a pile of motor drive heatsinks. My HD TV (purchased used) is not loud enough. I'm frustrated at buying anything from the world's largest exporter- I spent 30 minutes today punching an eyelet in a $120 name brand safety shoe made in XXXXX because the eyelets were too small to run the laces back through. My pants are falling down because all the suspenders are made in XXXXX and last a week. I've bought $300 in new discrete electronics parts lately, and 95% of them come from countries that criticize their dissidents, not jail them permanently. If you come up with a D/A you like, also an input connector, please update your project here. Thanks for the decoder number-I can get datasheets, but haven't found a catalog index on the internet like I used to get at Electronics Manufacturers seminars in the 80's. JRC parts (JRC45580 specifically) seem to rely on motorola for their datasheet, they are too cheap to post them themselves under their own part numbers, at least that I can find.

microcomputer

The ST310 datasheet is very informative, and very discouraging. It is a wave solder surface mount package, which leaves out most diy. It seems to require microcomputer control, which is economic but annoyingly complex for me. Most microcontroller development software, as well as modeling software, requires an up to date Microsoft operating system, which I have abandoned for security and licensing reasons. (I use Linix Ubuntu). Fortunately the datasheet references some standard documents defining the datastream. Is is remotely possible that one could analyze the format of the datastream, and wirewrap a Schottky TTL IC board to decode the sync, decommutate the data to D/A's, and initiate export of data to amps. Not this year, body and yardwork season in the northern hemisphere. Good luck to somebody. I'm not buying 5 tiny speakers available from any junk PC for $2 to install surround sound in my house for $150.

Why bother? Lossy digital surround is as obsolete as 1.44M floppies, and will be missed just as much. Buy a Technics SH-AC500D decoder on eBay; it'll probably cost less than chips and shipping alone, let alone having a PC board made. If you want to build something digital and retro, build a clock out of TTL chips and Nixie tubes.

If you're going to expend any significant amount of money or effort, set your sights on HDMI. I believe there is some gizmo out there that can be hacked to extract the discrete S/PDIF streams. Build your 6 (or 8) DACS and there you go. Or pick up a Pioneer A/V receiver that includes preamp outs.

The coasts vs the middle

Apparently 5.1 surround sound is one of those technologies that was superceded before it ever hit the stores in the middle. I thought HDMI and 5.1 were synonyms. All I ever have seen for sale that adds sound to an HD TV is a cheesy little box with 5 tiny speakers made in somewhere I wouldn't live for about $199- not exactly the kind of device you buy to watch the Metropolitan Opera on Great Performances. Please translate for the great unwashed in the flyover states. Popular XXXXXX magazine has descended into a toy of the month review, useless for people that don't go to stores and buy the lastest imported fad.
I "microprogrammed" a bit slice LSI IC' (AMD 2901) set to find sync, deserialize, and store NASCOM data at 13 MHz in 1981. Installed the box in the MSC communications room. Since I got out of the Army, I have been unable to get any programming tutorial to do anything but sit there with a blank screen. (Microsoft C, Microsoft Visual Basic). There is something they are teaching the kids in third grade that everybody knows that wasn't invented in 1958 when I was in third grade. I took my computer programming in college on a punchcard system that would blow the operating system if you put one extra comma in a Fortran 2 "common" statement. Oh, HTML works okay for me, I'm not a total idiot. But after the conflictor virus destroyed my Windows and Microsoft refused to back it up without a box number, I'm done with Microsoft. The computer repairman threw away the Windows 98 box, since nobody would sell a motherboard for it, and didn't give me a Windows XP box. I hate the way Microsoft changes the names of every feature everytime they update, or invents some tricky visual link to it without a name, so that they sell more hands on training. Any linux suggestions are invited.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.