IsoMagic fault - distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a classic Cambridge Audio IsoMagic which has begun producing a very distorted sound. The distortion is equally audible whether I use the optical or electrical input, and is always present. Presumably therefore this is analogue output-related. I really like the sound of the DAC (when it's working properly!) so would greatly appreciate any help trying to restore it to full working order.

Thank you

Hi Florette, I always wanted one of these DACs..... but all I have is one of the 'puds'! :D

The designer, John Westlake, is a member here. I've sent him a message with a link to your posts. I think he is quite busy at the moment with some new products but he, very commendably, stands by his old designs. :)

Best wishes,

Sorry, I messed up with the photo attachment. I'll try again.

Attachments

• isomagic cap.JPG
    isomagic cap.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 50
Hi John, I've tried toggling the clock lock switch, but it was in the correct position in the first place. The DAC had been performing perfectly until one night last week when the noise began midway through a track. This certainly suggests a component failure.

I used a tablelamp last night for lighting on the poor quality photo - I can take further photos in daylight if required.

Thanks again for any help.

Hi Florette, I always wanted one of these DACs..... but all I have is one of the 'puds'! :D

The designer, John Westlake, is a member here. I've sent him a message with a link to your posts. I think he is quite busy at the moment with some new products but he, very commendably, stands by his old designs. :)

Best wishes,

I meant to say yesterday that my 'puds' are all still sealed in their bags - never been used. I redeployed some half ping pong balls from a previous role. The whole design of the IsoMagic is so neat, I'm surprised it wasn't copied.

Hi Florette69,

The "Stuff" around the capacitor is just "Glue" to hold the Cap in place - no problem with leakage.

What source are you using? The IsoMagic will only work correctly with 44.1 KHz digital sources.

As you can imagine we had fun with the "Puds" around the office. We need something cheap - these "Balls" where perfect. Mark Hickey and myself came up with the concept of Isolation platform + DAC one evening – Its still one of my favourite DAC’s.

John

I doubt this will help especially, but I powered up the DAC again this evening. For an hour or so it worked fine with no audible problem. However, the severe distortion eventually returned. Also one channel has a noticeably lower output.

Can anyone suggest what may cause this failure, especially since it does not occur when powered up from cold?

Powered the S700 up again this morning and the distortion is present immediately. Also, if it's of any relevance, the postion of the clock lock toggle makes no difference - could this be the route of the problem? If no-one can offer any guidance, is there anyone who can service these?

Apologies for the persistence.

Last edited:
John, I have a multimeter so will make the checks you recommend.

Interestingly, after hearing the distortion this morning as soon as I powered up the DAC while connected to my Micromega, I've left it connected to my TEAC transport all day on repeat play and each time I've had a listen... no distortion. This is making me think perhaps there is an incompatibility with the Micromega transport. It's not a connection I'd made before. Is there a known problem? Before making any conclusions obviously I'll power the DAC on and off a few times, etc. I will also check those voltages across the caps.

After a bit more box swapping and experimenting, I now believe this to be a power-related issue with the Micromega.

I've used the Isomagic with my TEAC transport and also a DVD player, and no problems have been experienced.

When I use the Micromega, nine times out of ten there is distortion. This occurs whether I use optical or coax - same interconnects as I've used with the other two digital sources. I've tried different mains sockets and different mains leads, but the distortion is heard (only with the Micromega) with any combination. The Micromega transport works fine with the other two DACs I have.

So I guess my answer is to not use the Micromega transport with the Isomagic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.